Add a capability to Assignment!

Add a capability to Assignment!

by Brian Sea -
Number of replies: 1
Hi:

I have come across a need to have students see all other submissions after the due date. To accomplish this task, I have created a new assignment type which replicates the "Advanced Uploading" type, but display student submissions at the due date time.

Everything works, but students cannot click on the links because of a check in file.php which specifically prohibits students from getting to the files. I removed the check, and the assignment type now works. However, doing this exposes a security risk. Therefore, I think Assignment should add a capability which allows students to view submission, but not grade (i.e. "mod/assignment:viewsubmissions").

Adding this capability would not only allow my type to work, but it would allow the development of any assignment type that requires peer review such as a workshop assignment type, peer review of papers and even allowing parent roles to see their kids assignments without grading them.

While I'd like to see the broader Moodle community do this, I will likely add the capability to my installation or I'll have to fork the Assignment module to a Peer Assignment type (both of which I'd rather not do).

What do you all think?

--sea
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Sea

Re: Add a capability to Assignment!

by Peter Ward -

Hi Brian,

I have a similar requirement to your own and just wondered whether you've achieved a solution and/or can provide me with advice.

I need to allow a user to view assignments, see the grades of others, view files students have uploaded to assignments, but not be able to grade them. (This users objective is to evaluate the feedback teachers are providing for the student assignments submitted)

I'm using 1.9.4 and when I set the users capabilty in an attempt to do this, all is achievable apart from being able to open the files ...'access denied'.

Many thanks.

Peter