Course Format

Course Format

by John Swift -
Number of replies: 3

Hi everyone,

I am new to Moodle and I would like to set up a course that consists of 10 modules.

Modules 1 to 3 are compulsory and all students must take them. modules 4 to 6 form what i call the research block and modules 7 to 10 form the options block. Students must take a total of 4 modules from the two blocks (Research and options).

Can anyone suggest how i might go about setting up such a course.

Thanks

John

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Swift

Re: Course Format

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Just use the topics format with 10 topics. Then add Labels to the course page to explain to the students which topics they have to do.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by John Swift -

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. I have not come across the topics format as yet. I have been doing a little poking around and noticed that there is something called course categories. Could I not use these to differentiate the blocks of courses; calling the first set core courses, the second Research and the third Options? what is the difference between the topics format and using course categories? Any pluses and or minuses?

As I said I am new to this but I am quite interested in learning as much as possible

John

In reply to John Swift

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
That would also work, if you don't mind splitting up your one real-world course, into 10 Moodle courses.

I guess it depends how big each section is. If they are all huge, then a separate course for each is probably best, if they are tiny, than doing them as different topics in one course is best. In between, you could probably go either way.

Things that might sway you one way or the others is how you track enrolments and grades and other things like that.

Don't be afraid to experiment; don't be afraid to continue asking questions in these forums; and other good places to learn more are http://docs.moodle.org/ and some of the Moodle books that have been published (look in the support menu above).