I teach same course 5 times, how to setup?

I teach same course 5 times, how to setup?

by Joe Rowe -
Number of replies: 1
HI.

I'm new to moodle and love it. My site info is below.

summary question: Can I create Sections in my course rather than create 5 courses and cause me, the teacher, tons more work in adding and managing the 5 courses.

I'd like to manage just one course.

I teach 5 sections of a computer course. Each section has 28 young adults. smile I want them to be able to chat with the others in their room. And when you go back and look at the chat logs it should show only their commentary.

I know there are other features where segmenting my 150 young adults will benefit me and them.

I'm upgrading from moodle ver1.1 to 1.4 today. I currently don't see any metion of sections or "philosophies" on segmenting students.

I posted this in the gradebook section for one reason. If I create 5 courses to segment my kids then I put a lot more owrk on me. Each time I add an assignment I must add it in all 5 courses.

I looked in the Moodle FAQ ( uses the rescource modlue) and found a category "Managing Students" but there were no entries.

Perhaps we need a Category under the FAQ for gradebook?

THanks in advance. Once I learn moodle I'd love to be the person who provide support rather than depend on others.

Joe

(510) 326-6075
http://www.roweclassroom.com/courses

In reply to Joe Rowe

Re: I teach same course 5 times, how to setup?

by Tony Hursh -
Joe, it sounds like the group feature in recent versions of Moodle is exactly what you need. You can set individual activities so all the groups can see and interact with each other (no groups), so they can see each other, but not interact (visible groups), or so they're completely separate from each other (separate groups). It's great.