Change Grade Item Maximum value

Change Grade Item Maximum value

by Devin Casenhiser -
Number of replies: 4
I'm trying to edit a grade item (Quizzes) -- the sum calculation item, actually. For some reason the grade item says a maximum value of 100. However, there are 13 quizzes each worth ten points. I can't figure out how to change the maximum value -- or why it doesn't change automatically given that there are 13 10-point quizzes. The other grade categories all add up correctly.

Any help?

Thanks!
In reply to Devin Casenhiser

Re: Change Grade Item Maximum value

by E. L. Cooper -

Since this is affecting all quizes (as I read between the lines) go to main index/ lobby- Administration Modules Activities Quiz then  all the way the bottom is a max grade setting. Check that first. 

Here is an extended thread on the issue in reverse but it has a lot of info for quiz settings. His final fix was in the editing tab (where you see the questions) http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=120987

by Devin Casenhiser -
I figured it out, but I don't know why -- I think this might be a glitch, can anyone confirm?

This is actually a Quizzes category rather than an item. So I've led E.L. astray on the solution (sorry!).

In any case, the quizzes category is set up sum the points of the items in the category. When it is set up as a sum, you can't change the maximum value of the item. Once I changed the category to weighted mean, I was able to change the maximum value. When I then changed it back to sum, it retained the corrected value.

Either it's a glitch, or the max value just doesn't matter in this case.

Cheers!
D

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi D.
It is indeed a glitch per this ticket: MDL-18772
Your new category was empty first and worth 100 points by default. Then you have put items there, but total was not adjusted, because the aggregation was set to sum. Solution is to switch back and forth between aggregation methods for now and adjust manually (as you have described).
Will be fixed in 1.9.5