Can Moodle communicate with external website?

Can Moodle communicate with external website?

by Sven Delle -
Number of replies: 2

What I want to achieve:
Have an e-learning application running on Moodle without the users ever seeing Moodle.

And what do I mean by that:
Well, I'd like to be able to:

1. First of all develop an e-learning application in flash, wrap it in the SCORM html-wrapper.
2. Upload the application to a server anywhere (in a specific root directory).
3. Install Moodle on the same server.
4. Setup the application in Moodle (?).
4. Add a users in Moodle
5. Send the user an e-mail with an URL to the application (http://www.myElearningApplication.org) and a login (one generated from Moodle).
6. The user logs in on a custom built login page that communicates with Moodle.

All tracking in the application is communicated back and forth between the website and Moodle.

And an administrator can monitor each students progress.

Basically I want to use Moodle for monitoring students using the application without them ever having to login to Moodle.

How do I make the connection in Moodle between Moodle and the 'external' site? I only seem to be able to run the application from within Moodle in either Preview og Normal mode. Is this my only option?

Now, is this at all possible. Or am I totally misunderstanding what Moodle is, and what it is capable of?

Any hints or suggestions to achieving the above are very appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sven Delle

Re: Can Moodle communicate with external website?

by Frances Bell -
These questions sound a bit technical for the Lounge, suggest you try Using Moodle forums - choose most appropriate. Good luck!
In reply to Sven Delle

Re: Can Moodle communicate with external website?

by Joe K -

Sven, You mentioned (4) you want to add users to moodle, if your users are in moodle and you want to authenticate users by using moodle , then your users have to login to moodle. But you can customize the look and feel of moodle page to your taste. You can add a resource “Link to a file or website” and point to your flash hosted anywhere. Also look at the ‘my moodle’ option in configuration to see if that helps….

Joe