Marking Grade Absent

Marking Grade Absent

by Mel Ausman -
Number of replies: 4
How do you mark a student absent when manually entering the grade using Grade Type Value and no Scale? Is there a letter code of some type that can be entered so the grade does not convert to "0". Of course, I could leave it blank but then later you cannot tell why it is blank. I am using 1.9 gradebook.
In reply to Mel Ausman

Re: Marking Grade Absent

by Gary Anderson -
Just write "absent" into the feedback area. Provided that you are using a grading method that only includes non-empty grades, the activity will not be factored into the overall grade.

If you want the student to eventually do the activity, you may want to write something like "absent -- please do this within one week to get credit for this activity". Then you can put in a zero of the student never does it and you want it treated that way.

--Gary
In reply to Gary Anderson

by Mel Ausman -
With 150 students this is extremely time consuming. I just want to put in "ab" instead of a numerical grade. Just like you might in a regular grade book.
In reply to Mel Ausman

by David Le Blanc -
Mel,
In the gradebook:
  1. Turn editing on.
  2. Click the edit icon where the particular student's grade would show.
  3. You will see a form with an option (check box) to indicated an excluded grade.
  4. In the feed back box, make a note explaining the exclusion.
Excluded grades are not calculated in the students' overall grade total.

Attachment edit_excluded.png
In reply to David Le Blanc

by Mel Ausman -
I have the excluded okay but when I write into the box either directly or in the edit section it changes it to zero. ??