Ideas for the "Invisible" Teacher?

Ideas for the "Invisible" Teacher?

Chad Fairey -
回帖数:10

Hello all,

I've scoured the forums and spent some considerable time trying to tweak this one, but I am coming up a bit short.  My educated guess is that there is no easy solution, but I continue to be astounded and amazed at the resourcefulness of the Moodle community!  So, here goes...

Plain and simple, teachers at my school would like to be able to visit other courses on our site without enrolling in them.   I've tried to create custom roles that allow this, but I keep coming back to the same old issue (discussed at length in these forums) that once you apply a sitewide role to someone then that person appears as a participant in all courses.  This side effect is actually the least problematic, as I would be willing to simply disable the Participants block sitewide and call it a day.  Once this role is applied, however, a teacher's MY COURSES block becomes essentially useless as all sitewide courses are listed instead of their own.  This is an enormous issue and one that would make the change very unproductive for my faculty members.

Even if I redefine the Authenticated User role to allow course:view, everyone still shows up in all classes.   I've also tried creating a custom role and selecting "Hidden Assignment" when assigning faculty members to it.   No dice!  They still show up in all courses and their MY COURSES block is filled with the full laundry list of courses.

My holy grail at the moment is to avoid sitewide role assignments for our teaching faculty, but to find a way that they can browse to other classes without being prompted to enroll.   Possible?  Any ideas?  Am I dreaming?  

Many thanks to anyone who has an idea, input, or even just comforting words. 微笑

Cheers,

Chad Fairey
Director of Technology & Information Services
Washington International School

回复Chad Fairey

Re: Ideas for the "Invisible" Teacher?

David Le Blanc -
Chad,
If your concern is to hide teachers with the site-wide role to visit all courses from students, then the hidden assignment will work. All editing teachers will see the teachers listed with a closed eye icon indicating their hidden status; however, students will not see the teachers listed.
回复Chad Fairey

Tiffany Morgan -
Hi Chad
I completely understand what you are trying to accomplish. We have that same request of teachers and we also have TAs/Student coaches/parents who we do not want listed in the participants list because they are not actually participants (more like observers).

I tried what you stated here and had the same results. From what I have read assigning users (ie your observer teacher) a role in a class and then clicking the eye checkbox when you assign them should hide them from view IF the viewer has the permission moodle/role:viewhiddenassigns set to prevent. I tried this and still found when logged in as teacher that these users with hidden assignments are still visible in the particpants list.

I found (as you probably did as well) this issue in the tracker http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-11343 It was closed, but I commented that I think it should be reopened.

Hope this helps--keep the forum posted if you find anything!
Tiffany
回复Tiffany Morgan

Helen Foster -
Core developers的头像 Documentation writers的头像 Moodle HQ的头像 Particularly helpful Moodlers的头像 Plugin developers的头像 Testers的头像 Translators的头像
A possible solution might be to enable course guest access with the same enrolment key set for all courses. (It would not be necessary to enable guest access for the site.) Teachers could then be given the enrolment key and browse courses of interest without appearing in the list of participants. Please see the Guest role documentation for more details.
回复Tiffany Morgan

Bruce Webster -
We had a problem with teachers being surprised seeing all these extra (system-assigned) people when going into participants.

Hiding them altogether I felt was not the best solution as we like transparency - teachers should know who can look into their course.

My fix which I've just come up with is very simple - change one default value near the top of the moodle/user/index.php file...

change
$roleid = optional_param('roleid', 0, PARAM_INT);
to
$roleid = optional_param('roleid', $CFG->defaultcourseroleid, PARAM_INT);

I think it is entirely justified to by default, show the default course role (instead of ALL roles). Now, teachers will have to specifically select ALL to see ALL. No scary surprises and no secret assignments.
回复Bruce Webster

Ger Tielemans -
If I add this patch, The teacher doesn't see the dropdown-box anymore..
回复Ger Tielemans

Bruce Webster -
That's funny. The middle parameter that I changed is just the initial value of the dropdown. It works for me and just changes the initial value from 'All' to 'Students'. Maybe your default role is not set right?
回复Chad Fairey

Mike Worth -
This is caused by the fact that course:view is currently taken to mean that the user is enrolled; to fix it, a new course:enrolled capability is needed. See MDL-11798.

Mike
回复Mike Worth

Ger Tielemans -
Very good point Mike!

Following your reference I saw a lot of discussion about security, I hesitate.

This is how we live with the current situation:
  • We close the website for guests (intranet)
  • we agree on and create a category-tree with closed zones and open zones (for guests)
    • A daily cron (database query on courses) keeps the open/close status of all courses.
  • all courses for students are in the open zones, everyone who can login (ldap) can browse these courses
    • only resources and activity-descriptions can be viewed
    • teachers who got interested in a course ask the teacher of that course to make them visiting teacher (in the spirit of Moodle)
    • students who get interested... can enroll 微笑
    • most of the time a department puts the same key on all the courses in that department to get the right students in their courses.

(For parents we patched their child's account, but this is coding)
回复Chad Fairey

Tiffany Morgan -
Hi Chad
I did finally get hidden assignments to work. Now when parent/coaches log in they can see what I allow them to see but students, teachers, and course creators cannot see them.

My mistake (which was a dumb one) was I was checking the hidden assignment checkbox after I clicked the add button for the user, rather than before. I did kick myself when I figured that one out...

Otherwise, with a few minor exceptions, its working well. Let me know if you have questions
回复Chad Fairey

Amjad Al-Tobi -
Hi Chad
You may check the “Allowed to do everything” role under system roles in the permissions list. According to Moodle, this capability:
• Allows a user to execute all actions in Moodle. This is a special capability intended for admins, since it overrides all other capability settings.
• This also allows a user to browse every course without being required to enroll and without being listed as a course participant.
Source: "http://docs.moodle.org/en/Capabilities/moodle/site:doanything"

So you might creat a customized role and assign people to it on category or course level.