Gradebook Aggregation Settings Missing, Category Not Calculating

Gradebook Aggregation Settings Missing, Category Not Calculating

by Richard Shok -
Number of replies: 7
Hi,

I went into my course today to update a grade, upon doing this the "Quiz" category would no longer calculate the quiz average (it previously was) and therefore the total grades are showing up with no quizzes factored in.

I went to the Categories and Items section to edit the course aggregation methods - and they were gone! (see screen shot). All of my settings are identical to another course I am running, but that one is doing everything correct (cannot see aggregation methods though).

I have no idea how to correct, please help!

Rich

Screenshot:
In reply to Richard Shok

Re: Gradebook Aggregation Settings Missing, Category Not Calculating

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Rich,
I would check with the admin.
I think Aggregation can become hidden from instructor view if an admin hides it for the installation.
Admin should check: Site Administration > Grades > Grade category settings.
If "Hide forced settings" option is checked and if "Aggregation" is set to Force, then instructors will not see it anymore in the gradebooks.
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Blair F. -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
I know this is an old topic, but I've just discovered this problem, today, in both our Moodle 2.8 and 3.0 environments.  

The category settings on the left are from version 5 of this particular course and the settings on the right are from a copy of a copy of a copy (version 8) of the same course.  The copies have taken place over multiple semesters. I noticed that version 6 and 7 have the same issue.  The Aggregation (and other advanced settings) have disappeared.  

I have checked and played around with the Grade Category Settings to see if changing them make any difference and it doesn't.  It seems as though maybe the gradebook of this particular shell is corrupt, somehow.

Attachment AggregationMissing.PNG
Attachment CategorySettings.PNG
In reply to Blair F.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

At some point your aggregation method changed from Weighted to Natural.  That is probably causing the issue.  Is weighted an allowed aggregation method anymore?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Blair F. -

Hi, Emma! The gradebook for version 8 still shows "Weighted Mean of Grades" for course total.  This is still allowed in our setup. That's how I discovered this, because I was going in to change it to Natural.

In reply to Blair F.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Try unhiding forced settings.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Blair F. -

I had already done that and it didn't work.  However, together with the instructor, we've figured out the problem.  One of the instructors from Version 6 of the course had added a calculation formula to the Course Totals.  As soon as I deleted the calculation from there, the aggregation option was once again available! Problem solved! Phew!!

Thanks for your suggestions, Emma.

In reply to Blair F.

by François Lizotte -

Wow, that's what I like about this community! I didn't even know you could add a formula to a course total.

I can't explain why, but I just solved an issue by deleting such a formula. Every quiz in the course would take over 30 seconds to load. Not even the attempt to the quiz, just the click on the quiz. Even an empty quiz would take so long. Then I realized that there was an error in the gradebook total. Fixed it. Everything back to normal.

The pattern is similar to what you reported: course content that is imported every semester plus Moodle version changing every year.

François L.