Jumping to top after answer.

Jumping to top after answer.

by Theo Heijnen -
Number of replies: 5

Hello, I made a lesson inclusing some branches. IF the student answers a question at the end of a lesson the lesson page jumps to the top.

Student has to scroll down again to continue. Can this 'jumping' be disabled?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Theo Heijnen

Re: Jumping to top after answer.

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Theo,
I think I understand what is happening. "Jumps to the top" could mean a few things.

Hope it is something basic. You should check the jumps on the question(s). Sounds like the student selected an answer which had "This page" set as the jump. The student would go back to the page and have to scroll down to answer the question again. There should be at least one answer that sends the student to the "Next page" or some other place in the lesson.

One of the places you could send them is the place called "End of Lesson". When a student jumps there, they have finished the lesson and it is graded right then.

Several options to make jumps work they way your want ("disable jumps"). 1) In Lesson settings, change maximum attempts to 1. With this settings, when a student misses the question and the jump says "this page" they will go to the next page. If you set it to 2, then when the student misses the question not once but twice, they will go to the next page on their second miss. Option 2) This is more complicated and more work. You can turn on custom scoring, then make sure every answer goes to the next page. Give a score for the correct answer and 0 (zero) for all other answers.

You did not tell us if scoring the question was important to you. My assumption is that you want to score an answer. With custom scoring turned off in Lesson settings, any answer's jump that goes towards the last page, is counted as a correct answer. Any answer that goes to "This page" or one towards the first page is counted as wrong.

There is a lot of information in MoodleDocs that might explain this differently. I would suggest starting with Lesson pages and pay attention to the sections about "Jumps in general" and "Jumps in questions". There is a page called Jumps which gets into the difference between different types of jumps, that is not your issue.

Hope this helps a little. Chris

In reply to Theo Heijnen

by Theo Heijnen -
Hi Chris, thanks for the fast answer.
But in my lesson: in case the student selects the wrong answer indeed he should go back to the lesson. But if the student selects the good answer, the browser shows the top of the lesson. Scrolling down you see the message: Correct answer, continue to the next lesson. This is confusing for the student because he does not know that the result of his question is at the bottom of the page.

Theo
In reply to Theo Heijnen

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Theo,
Ah! That is easy. You want to flip this switch in the lesson settings display default feedback to NO.

I did not understand what you meant. In my MoodleSpeak a Lesson is a collection of pages, not a collection of lessons. Now I understand that you (and I know many other people) think of each page as a teaching point (in other words each page is a lesson for their student). Communication is a wonderful art and I enjoy all the different perspectives.

Hope this helps. Chris
In reply to Chris Collman

by Chris Elliott -

I have the same question -- I want students to be able to see the response to their question without having to scroll down past the page contents to get to the answer to the question.

However when I changed the "display default feedback" to NO -- nothing changed.  Students are taken back to the top of the page and must scroll down through the page contents to get to the answer to the question.

What am I missing?

Thank you!

In reply to Chris Collman

by Patrick Williams -
We are having the same issue. We also tried changing the display default feedback to NO and this had no effect. Did anyone find the resolution for this? The structure of our lessons has a question at the end of each page and this is causing a great deal of scrolling down and student confusion.