Modifying the default Scale?

Modifying the default Scale?

by Jeff Meadows -
Number of replies: 2
I hope that someone here can help me with this problem.

We are using the moodle gradebook to display the marks for assignments that are collected and graded external to moodle. Our teachers perform a weekly grade import (we have written a slightly customized version of the CSV import format that automatically matches existing assignments and updates them). Everything is working pretty well (with the exception of the display order of the imported grades - another open forum post, and a display issue). Our teachers have two additional grades that their gradebooks contain:

Exc - which is an incomplete assignment with a mark that is excused and does not count against the student as a zero
Inc - which is an incomplete assignment with a mark that has not been completed and does count against the student as a zero

We have been able to create a custom scale that includes these as well as the regular numeric values (and works), but the problem is, this scale has to be manually assigned to each assignment in the system in order for the Exc and Inc grades to display in the grade reports. If the assignments are created ahead of time in the moodle gradebook, the CSV import fails when the grade scale is anything besides the default scale. We also can't see a method of specifying the assignment grade scale in the CSV import process.

So - it would seem the best solution would be to modify the core grading scale to include the Exc and Inc values and they would then be displayed.

Anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks in advance.
In reply to Jeff Meadows

Re: Modifying the default Scale?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Go to site admin on the front page>grades>scales>add a new scale and put in your exc/inc and they will appear in all the courses.
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Modifying the default Scale?

by Jeff Meadows -
Mary,

I appreciate your response, but my post indicated that I was able to do this.

The problem remains that I can't apply this default scale to imported grades automatically upon import. Actually as of right now, there is no way to specify a custom grade scale when importing grades - the custom scale must be assigned after all of the grades are imported.

I need a solution that automates this process.