Moodle 2.0 Installation Woes

Moodle 2.0 Installation Woes

by Kristian Besley -
Number of replies: 17

Hi all,

I've been trying to install Moodle 2 to take a look at what is to come...

However, I've hit a couple of issues (one of which might be something I haven't done).

1. On Windows, I installed a fresh PHP 5.2.9 and on the 3rd installation screen (Setting up database), I get the error: "DDL sql execution error".

I think this might be something to do with my PHP installation, so please forgive me if it is.

2. The Moodle4Mac 2.0 download dmg appears to be broken - it won't mount - reason is 'codec overrun'.

Any ideas on the above anyone?

Thanks,

Kris
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kristian Besley

Re: Moodle 2.0 Installation Woes

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I tested a Moodle 2.0 install on Linux/Postgres yesterday and it worked.

I don't know about the pre-build packages though. I would try a manual install based on downloading XAMPP (or separate PHP, Apache, MySQL) yourself, and then downloading the Moodle zip, and doing the install.

Actually, if you are following 2.0, then it might pay you to follow CVS_for_Administrators so you can easily update - or that may be one step too far.

Anyway, thank you for taking an interest in what we are doing.

Acutually, I just tested an install on Linux/MySQL, and it worked. (But if you install Moodle 2.0 today, remember it is 1st April.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Kristian Besley -

Hi Tim/all,

A week or so later and I'm still having zero percent joy!

1. The Mac package now downloads (it was updated with the weeklies), but Apache within MAMP won't run. I could list the error here if anyone is curious... If the normal release of MAMP used a version of PHP which was supported by Moodle 2, then I would use that. I guess, I might have to wait.

2. My second attempt at a Windows install using separate Apache, PHP and MySQL components and a newer Moodle 2 has given me the same error as previous - DDL. The help page for the error isn't very helpful at the moment, but I do appreciate that this is due to it being beta. The install is getting 46 tables written and then throwing the error.

If anyone fancies attaching a full basic DB structure (in .sql format), then it would be much appreciated. At least I could then get going on it all....

Thanks in advance,

Kris

by chaitanya sharma -
Hi,

I've been trying to install Moodle 2.0 on my windows xp machine, and get the same 'ddl sql execution error'.

any help in the following bug is really appreciated.
In reply to chaitanya sharma

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Again, are you trying to use the all-in-one windows installer, or a manual install.

I think a manual install is more likely to work.

Of course, the all-in-one installers should work, and will definitely be fixed before the release, but it is probably not a priority now. (Of course, if anyone can give us a hand working out why the all-in-one installers fail, that would be really helpful.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by chaitanya sharma -
No, I've been tried two different code releases both of which have failed giving the same result.

first, the nightly source code release for moodle 2.0
second, the moodle code checkout from the CVS HEAD.

No, I've not been using the all - in - one windows installer; but independently installed:

Apache HTTP Server 2.2

PHP : 5.2.8

MySQL : 5.1.32, for Win32 (ia32)

Thanks.

by Tim Hunt -
OK, so that rules out pretty much all the obvious things that might be wrong.

Are you creating config.php by hand, (copy config-dist.php then edit) or are you trying to use the installer? I always create config.php manually. Of course the installer should work but it may be buggy. I just tried, and worked thorugh the installer OK, and it created the config.php file for me.

Also, have you got debugging turned up to the highest possbile level? Of course, that is tricky before Moodle is installed. You need to add

$CFG->debugging = 38911;

to config.php manually before proceeding with the upgrade.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by chaitanya sharma -
No, Not creating the config.php by hand., that get automatically generated by the moodle.

Nope, not using the installer at all.

Below I paste the contents of my config.php;

==========================================================
unset($CFG);
$CFG = new stdClass();

$CFG->dbtype = 'mysqli';
$CFG->dblibrary = 'native';
$CFG->dbhost = 'localhost';
$CFG->dbname = 'test';
$CFG->dbuser = 'moodleUSER';
$CFG->dbpass = 'mysqlPASS';
$CFG->prefix = 'mdl_';
$CFG->dboptions = array (
'dbpersit' => 0,
);

$CFG->wwwroot = 'http://localhost';
$CFG->dirroot = 'C:/projects/moodle-tars/moodle';
$CFG->dataroot = 'C:/projects/moodle-tars/moodledata';
$CFG->admin = 'admin';

$CFG->directorypermissions = 00777; // try 02777 on a server in Safe Mode

$CFG->debugging = 38911;

require_once("$CFG->dirroot/lib/setup.php");

// There is no php closing tag in this file,
// it is intentional because it prevents trailing whitespace problems!

============================================================

I couldn't have turned on the debugging as the application is not yet installed. sad

by Tim Hunt -
I can't see anything obviously wrong there. When you try to install using that, do you get a more verbose error message than the "DDL sql execution error" reported above?

With that $CFG->debugging setting, there should also be a stack trace.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by chaitanya sharma -
Can you tell me, where do i look for the moodle/debug stack trace ?

by Tim Hunt -
Ah! I did not think of that.

Either you need to look in your PHP error log (sorry, I can't remember where Windows puts that).

Or, you also need to add
$CFG->debugdisplay = 1;
to your config.php. Then the messages will appear on-screen. Sorry, I should have thought of that before.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by John Sinclair -
I have just downloaded the latest version of Moodle 2.0 and Postgres 8.3.7.

Everything went smoothly until the "Server checks" page. I am getting -
database:postgres:version 8.3 is required and you are running - Check
as the first line of the checks, everything else is OK

The database I created in Postgres was recognised and accepted so I'm stuck what to do next and would be grateful for any suggestions. I'm a developer with an interest in working in Moodle.
In reply to John Sinclair

by John Sinclair -
Postgres version not recognised

I looked into the code (environmentlib.php) and found that although Postgres was set as the database, the value for $current_version was set empty - no value had been found.

I have not so far had time to investigate why this should be but in order to check whether this was the only problem, I set the $current_version to $needed_version. This allowed the check to be passed (obviously) and then all the tables were created correctly and were available for use.

I was able to enter users and create a course and data were entered correctly in the tables. It would appear then that there is a basic problem with getting the Postgres version code when it is required for the initial checks but that the database itself it being accessed as expected.
In reply to John Sinclair

by Dwight Porter -
Please Help! I am installing Moodle 2.0 package on my Windows Vista system and I am getting the error below at the Installation setting up database screen.

System

DDL sql execution error

More information about this error

Table 'mdl_config' already exists

CREATE TABLE mdl_config ( id BIGINT(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment, name VARCHAR(255) NOT NULL DEFAULT '', value TEXT NOT NULL, CONSTRAINT PRIMARY KEY (id) )
•line 311 of lib\dml\moodle_database.php: ddl_change_structure_exception thrown
•line 419 of lib\dml\mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()
•line 83 of lib\ddl\database_manager.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->change_database_structure()
•line 70 of lib\ddl\database_manager.php: call to database_manager->execute_sql()
•line 459 of lib\ddl\database_manager.php: call to database_manager->execute_sql_arr()
•line 422 of lib\ddl\database_manager.php: call to database_manager->install_from_xmldb_structure()
•line 1029 of lib\upgradelib.php: call to database_manager->install_from_xmldb_file()
•line 164 of admin\index.php: call to install_core()
In reply to Dwight Porter

by Tim Hunt -
It looks like you are trying to install Moodle into a database where a Moodle already exists.

Try changing $CFG->prefix in config.php

by Shane Elliott -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Kris (and others who have had a similar problem),

I hit this error as well and in my case managed to track it down to a space character in the $CFG->prefix setting (I have extra code which automatically sets this off a git repo).

So as a first step for anyone else encountering this error I suggest ensuring all the settings in config.php are set correctly.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Shane.
In reply to Shane Elliott

by Vincent J -

this problem is linked to the engin Used to deal with the Tables.

you have to convert the table from InnoDB to MyIsam.

problem solved.

In reply to Vincent J

by Ian McNaught -

I had the same problem, it was because I'd done a practise upgrade, then after that was successful I reimported the production database to do a real upgrade. The import SQL file I was using didn't have a "DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS" line in it, so any new tables created by the practise upgrade remained, resulting in this error.