Help with Categories and Courses

Help with Categories and Courses

by Kevin Sowden -
Number of replies: 3
I think i may have set my Courses and Categories the wrong way round.

I want to have 4 levels of courses. Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced and Business. I have set these up as Categories. Then I have put my courses in different categories and set the main page to display categories.

I want each level / category to have a different enrollment key. However it looks like i have to put this on every course in the category. Is there a better way of doing this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kevin Sowden

Re: Help with Categories and Courses

by Khaled Zamani -
I think a solution is to make one Main Category and then make four courses with Meta course option NO

Example:

1. Four courses in the main category each course with a key
  • Course Beginner
  • Course Intermediate
  • Course Advanced
  • Course Business
Make for each course an invisible subcategory. (Change this option (allowvisiblecoursesinhiddencategories) to YES) Place all of the courses of each section to its subcategory
  • Change the option (Meta course) to YES when adding the courses to each category with the key and choose its child. Example (Course Beginner)
When a user logs in they will see four courses (it doesn't matter that they are not categories!) they still see the list (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced and Business) when they click on a course and put their enrollment key they will automatically get access to all the courses in the subcategory of that course.
You can link the subcategory courses in your main (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced and Business) courses. hope this works for you. It works for me.

Good luck.

In reply to Khaled Zamani

by Kevin Sowden -
Thanks I have finally managed to complete these instructions. However one problem..
The main course with the key for instance "business" does not have anything in. When people click to enroll on it and enter the key is there a way of immediatly displaying the courses its the "child" to. Or perhaps i should put one web page in there describing how to access them?
In reply to Kevin Sowden

by Khaled Zamani -
Well you can link all of the the child courses in that parent course.

For example you can choose the topic format and choose just one topic in the course option and then link all the coures within that topic.