Displaying only courses list on the front page

Displaying only courses list on the front page

by Jennifer Hudson -
Number of replies: 9
I selected "List of courses" in front page settings page in "Front page items when logged in" field. When I log in as a teacher or administrator, I am able to see only list of courses. But When I log in as a student, I am able to see all courses and also all course categories. I think it should display only courses right? I set my front page default role as Student.Can anyone please help me?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jennifer Hudson

Re: Displaying only courses list on the front page

by David Le Blanc -
I'm wondering if you could enable "My Moodle" as Thea suggests, but then hide the "Search courses" button and "All courses" link. It looks a bit fiddly but here's a thread describing how to do this: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=98445
In reply to David Le Blanc

by Jennifer Hudson -
Hi David, thanks for responding.
here's the scenario:
There is a free course and an enrollable course. After the student is enrolled by entering the enrollment key, then only, in the front page I am able to see the list of courses(without categories) - My courses block(before enrolling with enrollment key, even when I selected "List of courses" in "Front page items when logged in" field in front page settings page, combo list was getting displayed). But I am not able to see the free course in the list. and I also want the student to see only the list of courses before he/she enrolls in a course. Can any one please help?
In reply to Jennifer Hudson

by Ciara Rogers -
Hi Jennifer,

I am struggling with the same problem.

Teachers can see only a list of courses that they are enrolled in but I just logged in as a student and they are presented with all categories and courses - well the visible ones. \

I want them to only see the courses they are enrolled in. I have quite literally tried everything - I don't want to use MyMoodle. Have also added the courses block but it displayed the categories.

The annoying thing is that it is working perfectly for teachers!

Pulling hair out...
In reply to Ciara Rogers

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
When you say you've tried everything , what have you tried? Can we establish first that:
  • students are only assigned in the course and are NOT assigned globally, ie via site admin>users>permissions>assign system roles
  • your default user is "authenticated user" and NOT student in site admin>users>permissions>site policies?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -
I seem to be following Mary around the forums this evening (here in Baltimore).

As I understand it, students NOT enrolled in ANY course WILL see every course on the front page.

So, another question to pursue is whether your "typical" student is actually enrolled in at least one course.

Our solution to "A student sees everything" is to make sure that student is enrolled in at least one course.
In reply to ben reynolds

by Brad Mann -

I experience the same behavior and I don't recall having this in previous versions of moodle (prior to 1.9).  I think this should be considered a bug.  Students who aren't enrolled in any course should not be seeing every single course under "My Courses" on the front page.

I've created a quick fix for my installation which involves editing the source code - I can post it here if anyone is interested.

Brad

In reply to Brad Mann

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I just made a new user in a 1.8 I have. When I logged in as that user for the first time, with no enrolments, I got all the categories and courses that are on my test 1.8 Moodle. Then when I enrolled in one, I only got that one course.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Brad Mann -

Well then I guess it was always this way.  I didn't remember it being like that, but I haven't used moodle for a couple of years until recently (so this was probably an earlier version than 1.8).  Anyway, thanks for checking that.  I created a very small hack (2 lines) though I realize I will have to keep hacking each new version.

Brad

In reply to Brad Mann

by Dennis Chew -

Hi Brad,

I'd appreciate if you could post your solution.

SB