General help

Picture of Jeffrey Feng
Hide and Unhide category/courses issues

Hi,

I have a problem with MOODLE hiding and unhiding a category. When I unhide a category, then all courses under it are alos unhidden and vice versa. Even if I unhide some courses under a category, as soon as I hide the category again, these courses also become hidden? My question is: Is it possible to unhide a category, but not all the courses under it?

Thanks.

Jeffrey

Average of ratings: -
You either love it or you hate it
Re: Hide and Unhide category/courses issues
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
There is an option to show course in a hidden caregory if that helps

Paul

Picture of Jeffrey Feng

Hi Paul,

Where can I find the option to show in a hidden category?

Thanks.

Jeffrey

Daughter caught me driving down the street.
Group Testers
Take a look at http://docs.moodle.org/en/Add/edit_course_categories, in the section for hidden categories.

Basically, you'll find a checkbox in the front page settings - Allow visible courses in hidden categories.

Thanks,
Matt

Picture of Jeffrey Feng

Thanks for the reply. But still, if I unhide the category again, all courses under it will be unhidden even though I want some courses to be hidden. Also if I hide the category again, all courses that I unhide before become hidden.

Thanks.

Jeffrey

Daughter caught me driving down the street.
Group Testers
Unfortunately, it's been that way since 1.6 or so, and it makes sense for a lot of smaller Moodle installations. When you're running a lot of courses in a lot of categories, it is a pain to have to manually hide/unhide courses when you toggle category visibility, but if you recognize this, then it's not too difficult to build your category structure and have it the way you want it, and then you can place courses, hidden or unhidden, inside them.

Thanks,
Matt

Picture of harish kumar

can any body help me that how to hide catogery for a particular role if we want, if that role log in he should not found that category while others should see who are assigned to it. users should see only the categories which are assigned to them.

Picture of Teresa Gibbison
Group Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup TestersGroup Translators
Hi Harish
If I understand your query you would like some roles to be able to assign users to one or more categories. When a user logs in they only see the category/categories they are assigned to - is that right?

Moodle has a capability called 'view hidden categories' that you can allow for a Role, but this will let them see any hidden category though, rather than just the ones they are assigned to.

Can you explain what you are trying to achieve? If you would like users to just see the courses they are associated to then via Administration ► Front Page ► Front Page settings just select "List of courses" rather than List of Categories or Combo list.

Cheers
Teresa

Picture of Russ Titsworth

What I would like to be able to do is have the option to hide a specific category from guests - I know how to hide courses...  Is there a way to do this for categories?

THANKS!

-- Russ T.

Picture of roc mehra

Hi Russ, Did you got the solution for your query. If yes please share the solution