newbie don't know where to begin upgrade process

newbie don't know where to begin upgrade process

by Joe Rowe -
Number of replies: 2
I need to upgrade moodle from 1.1 to 1.4 and I don't know how to begin the upgrade. I've read the documentation at it seems that I need shell access which I don't have.

I'd be willing to pay $$ someone to call me and talk for 30 minutes because I'm so new to moodle and the students start school next week. I've got a CS degree and worked with a lot of software. I'm just a newbie to Moodle.

I'd love to use CVS. I don't think I can. When moodle was instlled the first time it was not done so with CVS. Perhaps I'm wrong but I think to use CVS as an upgade tool the first install must be done with CVS. Anway I've got deadlines so I can play with CVS later.

I'd really like to upgrade from Moodle 1.1 to 1.4 in a prompt yet practical manner.

The http://moodle.org/doc/
on upgrading makes it seem like i need shell access. Sadly my ISP does not offer me shell access. I think the key step I can't do is to untar the moodle archive. I do have FTP permissions and abilities. And the best part of my upgrade is that I don't care about any of my old courses or settings. They can be deleted or stay. I don't a backup of my older 1.1 moddle site.

Notes and my course site:
http://www.roweclassroom.com/courses

My info: (510) 326-6075
jrowe@igc.org
Joe Rowe, Portland OR

I do have a client debian machine but I'm pretty new to linux. Is it safe to assume that I could untar the new moodle archive on a windows client or unix client or mac client and then FTP up the files. Or are there chmod permission laws that would break.

I've even downloaded the PDF manual from Matt Riordan. Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joe Rowe

Re: newbie don't know where to begin upgrade process

by Timothy Takemoto -

Yes, the documentation does seem to be written for those that have a server and command line access.

But the installation is very simple even if you don't have a server. Here is my explanation from memory (ten times now).

I have omitted the backup stage but this will (assuming all goes well) keep all the settings of your old site. It is more difficult to get rid of it! Well...you would need to "dump" your database, and empty your course files. But do they do any harm?

1) download the 1.4 zip from moodle.org

2) Unzip it. It will create a folder called moodle.

3) Change the name of your moodle directory on your server to oldmoodle.

4) Upload the new moodle directory to the same place on your server.

5) Move (or download and upload)  your "config.php" from the oldmoodle folder to the moodle folder.

6) Move (or download and upload)  your themes if you have a special one, from oldmoodle/themes to moodle/themes.

7) If your data directory should be inside oldmoodle (it should not) then move it (or download and upload) to the same place in moodle. Having your data directory inside your moodle directory is bad policy, but sometimes it ends up there.  

8) Enter the URL http://mydoman.com/moodle/admin/

You should be done.

Other possible steps.

The chmodding of your datadirectory should already have been done. You will probably need to do it again if you have to do stage 7.

There is a chance that the move from 1.1 to 1.4 will overload the memory limit of your server. Many servers only allow php to use 8MB but more recent moodles use more. I get aroudn this by using a .htaccessfile with
php_value memory_limit "16M"
inside it. It needs to be in the main moodle directory. This could cause problems if you are already using a .htaccess file. If so then add the above line to your .htaccess.

Move accross any language files you have changed.

Move accross any hacked files, being careful that they are  appropriate to the new installtion -- they probably wont be so you will probably have to hack the new moodle again.

You should already have a cron set up.

I hope it runs smoothly.

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

Re: newbie don't know where to begin upgrade process

by Harald H -

if you would like to use cvs, but do the first installation without, maybe this helps

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=7550

i got the same problem, and do it like martin told me in this thread

but of course you need a command line access