registration key

registration key

by Alek Town -
Number of replies: 6

I dont understand something, how a student can subscribe or apply for one course.

For example, the teacher X created a course abc. X has no students for this course and he is willing for a group of students. He put a registration key to attempt abc. So he is waiting for students.

Student Y occasionally found course abc and decided to apply for this course. When he clicks on the name of course the system request a registration key for this course. Of course the student has no idea about which registration key is.

Student Y wants to ask from the teacher X about registration key, but Y can not find in the system the email of X.

So Teacher X are waiting for students, and he dont know that somebody want to subscribe for this course, and student Y will close the browser window because he dont know the registration key and dont know how to obtain it.

How can I solve this situation????

Please help!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alek Town

Re: registration key

by Karen Cheale -
The idea of the registration key is to only allow students on the course that you know should be on the course and you need to give them the key before they enrol.

If you want anyone to enrol, leave that field blank
In reply to Karen Cheale

by Alek Town -

I understood the idea of registration key.

What I dont understand is how the student from the Internet can ask the teacher to enroll him at course?

How does the student will get the registration key from a teacher if he dont know the teacher, or e-mail of the teacher???

Thanks.

In reply to Alek Town

by tobe baeyens -

You can only use the registration key if you have contact with your students in real life. I'm a teacher and have many classes. I make a registration key for every class and give him to my students at school. They write him in their agenda and can enroll to that course.

In reply to tobe baeyens

by Markus Knierim -

For some of our classes, we have used the registration/enrollment key the other way round, so to speak: We first let the students join the course (without any enrollment key required), and once all of the students have "arrived," we activate the enrollment key, preventing "guests" from joining the course. In the worst case, the teacher would have to unenroll any unauthorized student manually.

This way the students need not bother with the enrollment key, they can't "lose" it, nor can they start "sharing" the key. wink

In reply to Markus Knierim

by Jeff Wood -

Markus,

Another way of controlling access is to use the course "enrolment period."  Simply set a period of time that your course will accept enrolments after which students cannot join. This in conjunction with your activation of an enrolment key should work fine!

Jeff

In reply to Alek Town

by Amy Groshek -
Alek,
Couldn't you put the instructor email in the course description, with instructions for student to contact instructor for enrollment key?