How do I grade database entries

How do I grade database entries

by peter wilkinson -
Number of replies: 11
I have students make entries into a database and I want to grade them and get the grades into the grade book but I can't find where I put the grades on the list when I review it.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to peter wilkinson

Re: How do I grade database entries

by peter wilkinson -
Its ok - I have discovered it. Its in "Comments". Why grading should be called "Comments" is still a mystery but there you are...

In reply to peter wilkinson

by Stuart Mealor -
Comments is for ... comments !

If Ratings have been enabled for the database then you can use these to Grade entries smile
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Stuart Mealor

Re: How do I grade database entries - Confidentially

by Nichole Bryant -
I was wondering if anyone found a way to make teacher rating and comments confidential only to the student who submitted the entry?

In many school systems it is illegal to show students others grades and most teachers are hesitant to really give students feedback when they know their peers can see it...

Thanks! smile
In reply to Nichole Bryant

Re: How do I grade database entries - Confidentially

by Itamar Tzadok -
If you set the database to require approval and never actually approve any entry, only you and the author of the entry can see it and its comments. smile

by Bonnie Mioduchoski -

Hi Stuart,

Do you know if there is anyway to "rate" the database entries in one screen? Right now I need to click through each (using next) and sometimes I have 85 students. Having it all on one screen like with the lessons in the grade book would be helpful. It is taking a long time. Or is there anyway to "rate" as complete if the student makes the required entry? THANKS!

In reply to Bonnie Mioduchoski

by Stuart Mealor -

Hi Bonnie

No, I don't think there's a quick way to Rate multiple entries.  It's an 'additional feature' for the Databases activity - not like the Assignment activity where you would naturally expect this.

Can you not use Activity completion - if all you are looking for is that a Student must make an entry ?

by Bonnie Mioduchoski -

Hi Stuart,

I have tried to figure out assignment but I gave up. The reason I went with database is because with the list view I can see many student responses on one page and get an overview of their comments without clicking through each one. I also like with database that I can make a comment right there. Assignment doesn't offer these features does it or would there be a way to download all responses and see them that way? We usually have 75-100 people in the class and the db list view was pretty good for that. Not good, though, if people can get away with not posting. smile

Thanks for replying, Stuart!!

In reply to Bonnie Mioduchoski

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi everyone,

No one mentioned what it was the students are entering but if it is just text, you might want to consider installing and using the Journal module. It gives a text area for the student to type in and can be revisited/updated as long as the journal is 'open.' It does put grades into the grade-book.

It shows, only to the teacher, everyone's entries just like the database list view does. Right underneath each student entry it has the grade drop-down list, and feedback text area for teacher feed-back and comments.

The only downside I see is that you do have to install it and it does not offer the new rubric and marking guides, but does offer default grading of 0-100. It is my understanding that Journal used to be part of core Moodle, but has been dropped in favor of the online text capability of the assignment module. BUT, I have been using the current version of Journal in both my Moodle 2.5+ and Moodle 2.6 development site for the past 3 or four days, and it works just fine.

I can give temporary access if you want to take a look. Just pm to my profile email.

AL

In reply to AL Rachels

by Stuart Mealor -

Always good to have multiple perspectives / opinions smile

I didn't recommend Journal (because I can't really recommend something that moved out of core).  You are correct Al, it was dropped from Moodle core (after lots of debate and discussion) because all the functionality is covered with the newer Assignment functionality and Blogs.

So, if all that is happening is Students are adding text, the Online text Assignment option would work, with the benefit of various grading options.

Ultimately it would be good to try both, compare the workflow, and settle on the best option smile

by Jurgis Pralgauskis -

I just stumbled upon similar need..

By the way -- **why** is rating allowed only in "single item" view? 

Are there some performance issues, or just "no need" for "All items" view?

I thougt, workaround could be, to mangle javascript template, to generate rating boxes for "All items"?