Teachers can't see the students submitted assignments

Teachers can't see the students submitted assignments

by Kathleen Edelman -
Number of replies: 10
Our school is running moodle 1.9 and we have over 60 teachers in different courses without problems viewing the student's assignments. There are three teachers who are designated the 'teacher role' of the course and of the subject category, but they can't view the students submitted assignments as a normal part of their role, unless they switch go up the top of the page and switch themselves to 'teacher role' . This happens only for some of their courses. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what's going on here? And how I could fix this? Thanks.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kathleen Edelman

Re: Teachers can't see the students submitted assignments

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
This is just a guess but - do they have  any other roles as well as teacher in that course or sitewide?

by Jane Whitman -

We are trying to open these uploaded assignments as the admin and they do not work.  Any ideas?

In reply to Jane Whitman

by Jane Whitman -

To give you a little more detail.. Basically when you try to open an uploaded assignment from a moodle course it will show the assignments, it understands what file type it is by changing the icon gif in front of the assignment.  When you open the assignment it immediately opens in the same IE window and is not in the proper format.  Much like opening a powerpoint presentation using notepad would look. 

In reply to Jane Whitman

by Jane Whitman -
Very sorry, just realized I posted to the wrong one.

by Richard Ackland -
I too am suddenly having this problem for users assigned as teachers in a particular course.  They can edit the grades in the gradebook, but not the assignment.
In reply to Richard Ackland

by R Raitman -

Yes, same problem here.  The assignments have to be accessed through Administration - Files and following that path which is not good enough. 

Using the regular path, it shows that the assignments exist, yet when selected, it says 'Nothing to display'.

Desperate for a solution!!

In reply to R Raitman

by Azmi Kamis -
I'm also face the same problem after upgrading from 1.9.4 to 1.9.5...Any solution??
In reply to Azmi Kamis

by Steven Turner -

I have had a technician investigate this issue on our site. They discovered it was a field missing from one of the tables. The table we needed to edit and the field we needed to add is listed below:

table: assignment_submissions
new field: submissioncomment
after field: grade
type: TEXT
NULL: yes

Once this was added all Assignments could be viewed successfully once more.

In reply to Steven Turner

by Azmi Kamis -
Thanks Steven, but that field was already there...In my case, this problem not affected to all courses in my moodle, only a few...
Now i'm still investigate this problem.....and still need help..

by Greg Kraus -
Check to make sure that no one went in and changed the names of the folders in moddata. We recently had a case like this and discovered the instructor had renamed the folder "3265" to "Homework 1". He did that after all of the submissions were made so he could later go and download the whole folder at once and know which one it was.

Basically, the folder name should be the same as the assignment ID used in the database, and all of the submissions should be the number Moodle uses to identify the user in the database. It's not a user friendly naming convention, but it's not supposed to be.

I hope this helps.

Greg

Average of ratings: Useful (1)