Hardware and performance

Wellingtonia Tree
Linux server - what version

We are looking to move from Windows 2003 to Linux.
We don't really know anything about Linux.
What is the recommend version of Linux for a server for working with Moodle.

I've found Ubuntu server which says it was built on Debian, but that really isn't helping me. I've seen the Moodle docs page http://docs.moodle.org/en/About_Moodle and all it says is 'for example, red hat or Debian'. Not really helping such a complete Linux novice.

Suggestions please.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Shimron Trammell
Re: Linux server - what version

If possible I would check out Ubuntu 8.04 Server Edition: http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download for the LTS, and CentOS 5: http://centos.org/ for the Red Hatness of it. The reason I suggested those 2 are for a few reasons.

1. I really like Ubuntu, and the community behind it is awesome. Plus I was a really big fan of Debian and it all just seemed really intuitive to me.
2. The few times I used it I liked CentOS. Some people perfer Redhat and they try to make CentOS a binary copy of the current release of RedHat. So theoretically if you ran into something you might be able to pay someone to come in and fix it fairly easily.

The most important thing download them both and give them a shot in your test enivronment. You might like CentOS a little bit more because it comes presetup with a gui. But if you want a gui on the Ubuntu install it's fairly easy as well.

Picture of Elvedin Trnjanin

I'd suggest getting the latest version of Ubuntu, and it doesn't even need to be the server edition. The main difference between the editions are which software can be installed by default off the CD or DVD.

If you go with Ubuntu, you'll have the biggest community of people in the same position as you which will certainly be a benefit.

Picture of Visvanath Ratnaweera
Group Particularly helpful Moodlers
> The main difference between the editions are which software can be installed by default off the CD or DVD.

And a vastly smaller territory to defend. (In clear text, the less software you install on a server, the happier you are. Servers are vulnarable 24/7 to attacks from the internet. It makes a huge difference whether you have to defend two meters or a whole frontier.)

Picture of Shimron Trammell

Yep, plus if you are anything comfortable with command line, or become comfortable with the command line you'll find that administration much easier. Well at least thats what I have found.

Picture of Ceri Richards

If you're not experienced with Linux I'd go for CentOS just for the GUI to make things easier to administer.

I'm also a big fan of Ubuntu (apt-get is great!) - I like the way it sets Apache up by default in that it is Virtual host friendly and easy to configure.

But if you have no experience with regards to the command line I wouldn't overcomplicate things.

Both are great options though IMO...

Picture of Mike Rehner

It would not be hard to add a graphical user interface to Ubuntu- sudo apt-get install desktop where desktop is the name of the graphical interface you want to use. You will have to check the exact documentation on this. Also you will need to make sure that the minimum RAM is 384MB instead of 256 MB. Also use Ubuntu 8.04 LTS since LTS refers to Long Term Support and you will get your security updates with LTS.

Head
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers
The easiest way to administer a Linux server without installing a graphical user interface is to install Webmin IMHO smile

Picture of Justin Haaga

if it's not too late, go debian lenny if you aren’t virutlaizting. Main reason is that it's mature, super stable and easy to use. Otherwise go Ubuntu 8.0.4 LTS which is built of debian (lenny) but is less "stable" because the packages do not go through the same rigorous procedure. Check it out on wiki to see the differences. Either will provide the same configuration deployment, apt-get. There is a ton of documentation on the net so with a little trial and error you should be able to figure it out.

Picture of Moodle Wright

If you're new to installing Moodle on Linux, Falko has long maintained a great howto on setting up Ubuntu as a LAMP server at http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu8.04-lts. I've used this for several production Moodle servers with success. Just don't do the parts you don't need. I'd recommend steps 1-11 except for 9 for everyone. Then, php, mysql, ftp, and whatever else you'd like.

Alternatively, just do a basic Ubuntu install and let the installer create the LAMP stack. I just like to know what've I've actually done so I can retrace things later if problems occur.

Once your LAMP server is working, do a default install of Moodle.

Falko updates this for new Ubuntu releases but I tend to want stability over the latest and greatest, so this is a good place to start if you're not yet a Linux enthusiast.

Picture of Rob Duncan

Hi Heather,

We use Red Hat Enterprise for our servers because if you are in the Education sector then it's very cheap for the license and it's the best supported flavour of Linux, If you are in Education you get the license for about €50 (normally over €1000) you register the system with Red Hat Network and all of the bug fixes, security updates and software updates can be applied from the website, it's very robust and secure. Once you get the licesne (find a red hat partner in your district) and create an account on rhn you can download the server images as dvd images, source code or cd images, if your new to Linux I recommend you start here because adminstering the actual OS can be done from the RHN website. Your going to have to configure Apache, php and mysql whatever flavour you choose!

good luck and have fun!

Rob.

Picture of Nguyen An Thuan

It looks like many web hosting providers choose Linux RedHat enterprise as their OS.

However, personally I love CentOS very much, bcoz it has YUM command, which let me doing everything easily :D

Bartosz Cisek
Odp: Re: Linux server - what version

To be precise, CentOS is based on openSource code of RHEL. it has most it's features but no support.

Both use yum as packet management system