Private Journals

Private Journals

by Scott Gerber -
Number of replies: 12
We are using moodle 1.9.3 in the past we wanted to have a way for the students to have a personal private journal that the teacher could look at feedback in. To achieve our goal we needed to use a forum with groups to achieve our goal of date stamped comments.

Is the journal ever going to be able to be private viewable only by the teacher and student? And can you enforce a time/date stamp against each entry made by users?

Thanks

Scott
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scott Gerber

Re: Private Journals

by Itamar Tzadok -
Have you considered using a database activity with require approval enabled and never actually approving any entry? This should have the same effect you're trying to produce, namely, each student would be able to see only his/her entries and the teacher would see them all. I haven't tried it myself yet so if you try it please let me know if it works. smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Scott Gerber -

I will have to look in to this but again I go back to the premise that it seems logical to have a "Journal" that is private to each user that allows all the things mentioned before to happen.  Mentoring is becoming more and more important within our organisation...I hate to keep harping on about this but I thought I read somewhere that moodle was soon going to have some sort of fuctonality that would allow this to happen whether it is a journal or forum...

Scott

In reply to Scott Gerber

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The Journal *is* on viewable by the Teacher and the Student - that's the whole idea.

Do bear in mind that it has effectively been replaced by Online Text Assignment - the functionality and privacy is the same.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Only viewable? Thanks for clarifying that Howard - I had thought the same as what you just said to the original poster but had wondered if it was I who had got it wrong (if you can make sense of that grammar)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes *only* smile

Ma tipping s A bt rUbbich.

by Scott Gerber -

Okay setting aside my lack of punctuation...

What I am hoping for is a solution to a problem that perhaps only I am encountering, or am unaware of an existing solution.

I have trainers who need to deliver e-mentoring, to do this means I need each trainee to be able to make private, date/time stamped entries, in to some kind of secure container.  Effectively they would make an entry, save this and in turn the e-mentor would be notified of the change and be able to add their comments.

I have achieved this in the past by using groups and setting a forum that uses seperate groups - to be honest I did it so long ago I have forgotten how I acheved it.

In an ideal situation each traineed could be set up with a journal that by deisgn is private to them with only the trainer having access.

Having an activity that works along these lines would make for easier management.

For all I know this may be pie in the sky...

Scott

In reply to Scott Gerber

by Howard Miller -
Scott,

You said that, but what is it about the Journal module (or indeed the Online Text Assignment) that *doesn't* do what you need?

I have seen many people use it for exactly this sort of thing.

You might also want to dig out the old Dialogue module (it's had a bit of boost recently) that provides a one-2-one conversation.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Scott: at our place we use the journal as a  pastoral, confidential "speak to Mr So-and-so in private" sort of thing for pupil problems (which is why I worried when you seemed to imply it wasn't private.) So I'm asking the same question as Howard.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Scott Gerber -

The last time I tried the journal I don't recall the date/time stamping of entires...we gave upn on that immeidately and have not revisited it since.  Being a training company and not an educational establishment we have not had a reason to invistigate the text assignment activity - clearly I need to revisit these.

Thanks

Scott

In reply to Scott Gerber

by Mario Santonastaso -
Do you see any advantage in using Groups for individuals rather than the Online Text Assignment which also stamps and allows for feedback.

In reply to Mario Santonastaso

by Mario Santonastaso -

Sorry what I meant here was using Forums with the group setting and placing only one person in each group.  The Online Text Assignment seems more suited to this than the Forum module with groups.

In reply to Mario Santonastaso

by Mary Cooch -
It just depends what you want really I suppose. You can give feedback with forums too as the teacher can add a comment but with the online text assignment a student can't (easily) attach a file or an image, but you might not need to do that. It is certainly a lot quicker to set up the online text assignment but then with a forum you can have an on-going "conversation" /reflection area with the student that is recorded in the forum thread rather than the online text which doesn't lend itself as well to that.