Restrict Usage of forum locally

Restrict Usage of forum locally

by Jon Witts -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I'm not sure if I should be posting this here or the forum module, but here goes...

I have a teacher who has a student who is misusing the forums in her course. The student is using the forums to bully and intimidate other students. We have in the past, just restricted the ability to use Moodle for students misusing the system, but in this case the teacher has asked if we can restrict them from posting to this forum.

I was wondering if it was possible to create a global role that stops students from posting to a forum; that could then be available to teachers for a local role assignment within each forum?

Jon
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jon Witts

Re: Restrict Usage of forum locally

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Yes. This is one of the cases the roles system was designed for.

First create a 'Bad student' role. (You may need to give it a more politically correct namewink)
  • Set the permission for a number of capabilities like mod/forum:replypost, and mod/forum:startdiscussion to PROHIBIT.
  • Allow teachers, and other roles, to assign this capability.
Then, go into the place where you want to ban the student, and assign them the bad student role.
  • In a course, you would do that using the Assign role link in the course administration block.
  • In an individual forum, you need to click 'Update this forum' and then switch to the assign roles tab.
Naturally, you have a lot of flexibility about what capabilities you prohibit, and where the ban applies.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Restrict Usage of forum locally

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Perfect! big grin

Thanks a lot Tim. It was the allowing teachers to assign the role part that I was missing!

Jon