backup button for site?

backup button for site?

by N Hansen -
Number of replies: 9
Currently, one can backup a course at will whenever one wants simply by choosing backup. In order to do so with the site as a whole, the only way to do it is via setting up an automated backup to run at a certain time. It would be convenient to be able to backup the site as easily as one can back up a course. Is this a possibility?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to N Hansen

Re: backup button for site?

by Barron Koralesky -

Granted, it is something one could script externally (and I need to do that on my moodle server), but it would be nice to have an internal scheduled site backup utility that would do the mysqldump and tar up the data dir.

In reply to N Hansen

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi n,

although it isn't an official feature (that script is unsupported!, see Bug 1702) you can use it to execute a backup of every course on demand. It isn't exactly a button but...wink

http://your_server/your_moodle_dir/backup/try.php

Ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by Herbert Keijers -
... and you could change the backup directory so you have them all in one place.
Keep in mind that the webserver must have the ability to write to that directory.

by Art Lader -

This "back up the site" is a feature that several of my new Moodlers have asked about. (They are the Moodle admins at their schools.)

-- Art

In reply to Art Lader

Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi all,

please note the (once more) that the scheduled backup (and the script posted above) doesn't backup the site!

It (they) can be used to backup every course in the site to individual course files (exactly the same that if you execute a backup inside all the courses).

To backup an entire Moodle site (in order to be able to restore it again) you have to save the DB and both the "moodle" and "moodledata" dirs to a safe place. This process is well documented in the documentation and inside this forums.

Although I'm pretty sure that you knew the difference, I had to remark it!!

Ciao smile

by Barron Koralesky -

Right.  It would (in future versions) be very nice to have a "site backup" module from the admin side.  Is that something that would be a possibility?  As an admin I am much more interested in this than automatically backing up each course separately.

Thanks!

In reply to Barron Koralesky

Hi,

just use http://moodle.org/bugs and create a "feature request" bug!!

Then, any free developer (rare race big grin) will see it and, perhaps, do it!!

Ciao smile

by N Hansen -
Well, I was intending to do thatbig grin, but at the time I posted the message yesterday I really didn't have time to look up my bugs password, because of several factors. I lost the second harddrive on my laptop in as many weeks yesterday morning, with my offline backup on it. I was just trying to get it backed up again to my work computer yesterday, with the internet service going up and down on a national level here all day, and to top it off I had tonsilitis and the water pump for the building where I work had just exploded and there was nothing for me to drink in the office and I just wanted to get my site backed up and go home to drink something. So please forgive me for posting it here but I just wanted to post it while I was thinking of it before the internet connection went down again-and it did go down again before the cron job executed so I didn't actually have a chance to make an offline backup of my site until today sad, because I was too sick to wait for it to come up again.