Qualifications expiry and notifications (or reminders) in Moodle

Qualifications expiry and notifications (or reminders) in Moodle

by Olumuyiwa Taiwo -
Number of replies: 9
Picture of Plugin developers
I'm investigating the possibility of implementing qualification expiry and notifications / reminders in Moodle.

For example if a person completes a training for a given qualification, and that qualification is valid for 12-months, is there a way in Moodle to send notifications to the person (say at intervals of 1, 2, or 3 months before the expiry of the qualification) to re-qualify by completing another instance of the course?

Is this possible in core Moodle, or in a third-party module?

Thanks for any hints / ideas / suggestions.

Muyi

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Olumuyiwa Taiwo

Re: Qualifications expiry and notifications (or reminders) in Moodle

by Phil Everist -

Hi Muyi

Have you worked out how to achieve this? I am currently evaluating Moodle and this is one of the things on my wish list.

Thanks

Phil

In reply to Phil Everist

by Anthony Williams -
Hi
Has anybody acheived this?
I have the same reqiorment. I'd like my learners to complete a Health & Safety course every 12 months

Thanks
Anthony
In reply to Olumuyiwa Taiwo

by Chad Outten -
Picture of Testers
Thinking creatively...you could specify the course enrolment duration (eg. 365 days) via course settings, then auto-notify via email of pending (eg. 30 days left) enrolment expiry. You may need to customise the language strings, so the email notification that goes to the student is a bit more specific about how to re-qualify via another course. Just be aware that this same message will be sent to all students in all courses, in that situation.

Cheers, Chad
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chad Outten

by Anthony Williams -
Hi Chad

Tnanks for the reply but that wouldn't remedy the situation for me.

I need them to resit courses a certain period of time after they last sat them. The course would have top be there all the time.

Example:
User 1 passes Health & safety on Jan 1 2010 - they then need to take it on Jnauary 1 2011

User 2 passes on July 1 2010, the need to sit it again on July 1 2011.
In reply to Anthony Williams

by Chad Outten -
Picture of Testers
AFAIK, that functionality doesn't exist in core.
In reply to Chad Outten

by Anthony Williams -

That's a shame. I'm surely not the only person who needs this functionality.

Does anyone know how hard it would be to add this into, for example, quiz module.

Results valid for X days

Or something like that? I know there is some work being done wit certificate module to check that, but what if you don't have a certificate for the course?

In reply to Anthony Williams

by Mark Drechsler -

Hi Anthony,

Maybe I'm missing something, but I reckon Chad's idea would work, and I've done a similar thing for a client of mine. The enrolment duration can be set to trigger from when a user enrols rather than being applied to everyone in the course, so your description above should work nicely.

Like Chad said, you'd need to modify your Lang pack to change the email to say the right thing, but I'm pretty sure it could work based on what you've described.

Mark.

In reply to Mark Drechsler

by Anthony Williams -

Hi Mark

I see what you mean.

How do you set enrolment in this way? I know how to set open and close dates but not triggered from when student enrols.

Thanks for your help

Anthony