How to grade participation?

How to grade participation?

by Missy Smith -
Number of replies: 2
I am totally stuck. I want to grade participation. It's very simple. We have a set of discussions and I would like to give one point per post. I cannot figure out how to do this to save my life!

I set it up to be either count of ratings or sum of ratings and give it a value of one (because I don't want to judge the quality of the post). On the grade sheet, if someone has ten posts in one discussion thread, their maximum grade is one.

I just want to know how many posts each student made. Can anyone think of a simple way to do that? It would be a bonus if that showed up in the Participation category which contains a set of discussions.

Here is an example of how I would like to score Class Participation:

Student Mary:

Lesson 1 discussion question- 1 posts
Lesson 2 discussion question- 5 posts
Lesson 3 discussion question- 3 posts
Lesson 4 discussion question- 5 posts
Lesson 5 discussion question- 4 posts
Lesson 6 discussion question- 2 posts
Lesson 7 discussion question- 1 posts
Lesson 8 discussion question- 5 posts
Lesson 9 discussion question- 3 posts
Lesson 10 discussion question- 5 posts

Total Posts: 34

Total Posts required for full credit: 50

Participation Score: 68%
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Missy Smith

Re: How to grade participation?

by Itamar Tzadok -
You may be able to get the required info in a more or less the format you need from the 'Participation Report' (in Reports). In this report, if you choose the module activity 'your-forum' and show only 'student' and show actions 'post' (and if the report works properly) it will display a list of the students who posted in the forum and the number of their posts. You cannot download the list but you should be able to copy/paste it into excel and with the help of some Excel formulas create csv list which you can import into the gradebook.

Hope this helps.

smile