Grading Strategy Help Needed!

Grading Strategy Help Needed!

by Missy Smith -
Number of replies: 1
Hi --

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I'm using Moodle 1.9.4 and I am stuck and I hope someone can help me figure this out. I have a course with two basic grading criteria: forum participation and a test. The test is a multiple choice test and the forum is set up with a single discussion each day. The students have to get an 80% on the test or they fail the course. The students have to contribute 12 discussion items or they fail.

I cannot seem to figure out how to set this up to work properly. Ideally, I'd like everything to calculate automatically and have the certificate unlocked once it happens. I know that seems a bit too automatic but we have adult learners and part-time/non-technical instructors who need to be more like mentors than graders.

Any thoughts or advice would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks so much --

Missy.
In reply to Missy Smith

Re: Grading Strategy Help Needed!

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Missy,
Even though the quiz can be graded automatically, the discussion items (number of posts) will be not.
So, you would need to calculate those forum posts by hand, or set the forum to Aggregate type: Count of ratings and set the max grade to 1, and then "grade" each student post as course proceeds. But I guess it will be an overkill.