GSOC project: XML admin settings presets?

GSOC project: XML admin settings presets?

by Penny Leach -
Number of replies: 19
I was having a look through the suggested projects from last year: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Talk:Projects_for_new_developers#2008_project_ideas

and I think this would be really useful: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Talk:Projects_for_new_developers#XML_templates_for_admin_settings

We could transfer admin settings between sites, have installation templates, all sorts of cool stuff.

What does everyone think? Useful?

I see Petr has his name down to mentor it for last year - Petr, if you're interested still, I would be prepared to co-mentor with you.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Penny Leach

Re: GSOC project: XML admin settings presets?

by Nicolas Connault -
I suggested this over a year ago, but didn't get much reaction from anyone. I still think it's a fantastic idea.
In reply to Nicolas Connault

by Penny Leach -
Great, you can babysit Petr and I comentoring it smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Penny Leach

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks Penny and Nicolas, please could one of you create an issue in the tracker for it, then post the issue number in this thread.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Penny Leach -
http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-18548

Sorry for delay, only just saw this! smile
In reply to Penny Leach

Re: GSOC project: XML admin settings presets

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks Penny, 'XML admin settings presets' is now included in the list of Projects for new developers.
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: GSOC project: XML admin settings presets

by David Monllaó -
Hi,

Last year I saw that proposal and it remains me the "dirty" sql file that we use here for every new branche, this could be more more flexible.

I like to make a proposal, besides all the main features, the "Talk:Projects_for_new_developers" idea of sensitive params could be really really useful, we could share settings or add config plugins settings too. We can also share our local roles! I think course backups already does it, but admin settings are a higher context.

I don't know if it escapes for the main proposal goal, a XML admin settings template system, but the export system could add the possibility to export folders of themes, modules, blocks... and then allow us to restore entire moodle installations, (without db) not only admin settings.

The output settings file could be xml, yaml, json... but I think it's only important if someone have to open it like a txt.
In reply to Nicolas Connault

by Robert Russo -
Please YES!!!

This would be awesome in setting up and tearing down our six development servers every few months.
In reply to Penny Leach

by Juan José González Álvarez -
hello!

I am interested in this project, since I saw it I think this can be very useful.

On my school we use moodle to share resources, some presentations and stuff like that, I find this platform very useful. A few months ago school is having problems with server and I think they have to change their moodle installation to another server. I imagined how many people are in the same situation.

Export admin settings could be usefull in diversal scenarios, like a easy config template...

Friend 1 - "I have installed moodle in school but I don't have time to configure it and I don't know wich settings are better"
Friend 2 - "Don't worry I intalled moodle some time ago You can use my config template, it works perfectly in those enviroments"

...or just like a backup config file, or a restore (anti playing with setting) file.

I like to participate on this project for this gsoc, I'm very enthusiastic to contribute on a real open source project, this is my first time but I believe I'm ready and more!

I like to discuss about that, can you tell me more about project's goal and what do you like to do?
In reply to Penny Leach

by Jaime Liz -
Hello all,

I just wanted to briefly introduce myself, my name is Jaime and I'm looking forward to do my best to help Moodle, initially through GSoC but honestly after a week of talking/working or basically interacting with the community I feel like I don't really want to leave already.

I post my introduction in this particular thread because I'm interested in this project, I been looking into it for about a few days now and I'm really liking this Idea, its very important to have the ability to import/export settings in such a big application like moodle. Admins all over the world are going to be happy for having this. At the end of the day the most important thing about software development is having made life a little easier for our users, isnt it?

Right now Im starting my student proposal in the GSoC website, you'll be getting it soon, and well... Hope I make it hehehehe

Jaime Liz
In reply to Penny Leach

by Christopher Waclawik -

Hi, my names Chris and I may be interested in doing this for the GSoC. I'm a little behind on the deadline for the proposal, so I may not have a copy of it to review before then, but I plan to make some quick UI mockups and upload them to the tracker.

I've also started looking at some existing PHP code for storing site settings in XML:

http://infinite.mirrors.phpclasses.org/browse/package/1449.html

http://infinite.mirrors.phpclasses.org/browse/package/2798.html

-Chris
In reply to Christopher Waclawik

by Christopher Waclawik -
I've added some UI mockups to the tracker at http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-18548. Let me know what you guys think of my progress so far.

Thanks,
Chris
In reply to Christopher Waclawik

by José Cedeño -
Hi Christopher,

I'm one of the other students working on gsoc this year. What about allowing for diffs between configuration files? or revision them so that people can tell that a configuration is valid for a specific version of moodle?

Jose
In reply to Penny Leach

by Samuel GIFFARD -
Hi,

I'm a French Honours student studying in Scotland. I'm interested by this project for GSoC 2011.
The university I study in (Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen) uses Moodle and so are all the previous universities I have studied in.
Moodle is the major educational tool for communication, that's why I believe in this project.

I know I have the required skills to complete this project during the GSoC (3 months) as I have done several PHP projects before; some were my owns, some were not.
Being able to export/import settings from a Moodle platform to another is a crucial feature, in my opinion. I was surprised when I read that feature was still to be added.

That's why I would like to implement that feature this summer, working with the GSoC 2011.
I have never applied in a GSoC project before, so I'm not sure if I need to provide any document now (obviously at some point). So, if you need to know anything about me, feel free to ask me.

Regards,

Samuel
In reply to Samuel GIFFARD

by Samuel GIFFARD -
I realize you want me to have worked on Moodle first.
Source : here.
Quote : Note: We require you to fix at least one Moodle bug before considering whether to accept your project proposal.

I don't have time now because of the university project rush (4 of them) and I've got a thesis to write up. I will have time this summer (that's why I'm interested in the GSoC 2011) and can easily spend 35h/week.

What should I do?

Is there no way to work for Moodle without having fixed a bug before?

Regards,

Samuel

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Think of it as a Job application process - there will be more than one student applying for each job/project.

You need to prove to us that you can do the work - one of the requirements is that you suggest a fix for at least one Moodle bug in the tracker. In the past, some student applicants submit several which can significantly improve their application and increase the likelihood that they might be selected to do the project.

So... if you don't have the time to prepare a complete application as per the guidelines - don't be surprised if you don't get accepted.

I would also suggest having a look at some of the other projects - I think this particular project  already has some code floating around in a tracker issue that does most of the work.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

You have to look at it from our point of view. We get a huge numbers of applications from people we don't know, and have no chance of meeting.

Past experience shows that the best way to work out who has a clue is as people to fix one bug in Moodle. That means that we get to see at least one bit of code they have written. It also tests ability to communicate online, and the ability to dive into tracker.moodle.org, and pick out something that is neither totally trivial, nor impossible for someone new to Moodle.

If you really are too busy, then talk to us about it in one of the places we have suggested (Jabber, GSOC forum, ...). If you done previous PHP projects, the point us to where we can download the code online. That will at least prove to us that you can write PHP code that does not suck. That may also serve to demonstrate to us that you can see a significant project through to completion, which is another thing we would like to know about potential applicants, if possible.

by Séverin Terrier -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi,

it seems that the job as (allready) been done, as an admin block :

Séverin

In reply to Séverin Terrier

by David Monllaó -

Hi,

I've been working on that block, there is still work to do but I don't know where should I focus the efforts, I suppose that it depends on which kind of user will use it, an admin or a dev.

Dan, you said that it does most of the work, what do you think it's missing to do all the work? Any ideas?

In reply to David Monllaó

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

haven't actually looked at it sorry - just knew that a big chunk of the work had been done and that the project probably wasn't viable for this years GSOC! - good work! smile