MS Word from Quiz Multiple choice???

MS Word from Quiz Multiple choice???

by Maths User -
Number of replies: 17
Hello,
i have lot of question in ms word document file format.

For Example :

1.. Intermolecular force of attraction exists between the molecules separated by a distance of

of about.......................

(a) 10 m (b) 10 m (c) 10 m (d) 10 m

Ans : 1 (c)

2.. The restoring force per unit area of a deformed body is known as.............................

(a) deforming force (b) stress (c) strain (d) elastic limit

Ans : 2 (b)

My question is how to insert all this type question in moodle.

I can see the following types only.. : Can't see word

Import questions from file

File format

Please suggest me???
How to import questions from ms word to moodle quiz????

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Maths User

Re: MS Word from Quiz Multiple choice???

by John Antolak -
I would not worry about trying to find a "Word to Moodle" import filter. You need to work with "text only".

What I've done in this situation is to copy/paste the text into my favorite text editor (text editor, not word processor), and then use search/replace to reformat into GIFT format. For what you have, reformatting according to GIFT or Aiken is probably most straightforward. Go the "import" tab in the quiz interface, and click on a help icon to get information about the actual formats themselves. If you are familiar at all with regex search and replace (and if your text editor supports it), it's actually not that hard to quickly reformat into a properly formatted text file.

If you need formatting in the question or answer text, you can insert html tags as needed.
In reply to Maths User

by Daniela Bertacchi -
I have a slightly complicated solution: save your file as text (.txt). Then convert the file to the GIFT format, which seems to me very nice and natural. Maybe you or someone you know can create a script which reads the instructions in your txt file and converts them into gift instructions.
I had the same problem with a big database of questions written in LaTeX. My administrator created a script which converts most of the LaTeX commands into something that the gift format (+ jsmath) would understand. I still had to do some work manually, but it took me only a few days of work.
In reply to Daniela Bertacchi

by Maths User -
Hello all,
Thanks for your reply.

How to convert that word file to Gift format.

I have converted word file format to text format.
Then next what i have to do for GIFT format.

Thanks

In reply to Maths User

by Frank Ralf -
Could you post a sample file in your original Word format? That might be useful for finding a solution.

tia
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Shail Jai -

hi frank

I have same problem.... herewith i am attaching the sample file of my question and answer plz give me guidance that how can I solve this issue.

Thnx in advance

In reply to Shail Jai

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Shailesh,

Thanks for your sample file! Hope to find time to have a look at it soon.

Frank
In reply to Shail Jai

by Maria SHILINA -

Hi,

if all your questions have only 1 correct answer, you can easily use AIKEN format (search it in moodle docs). you will need to add only one line after each question. Smth like this... Answer: D. Then save your word-document as .txt (UTF-8) and import that file.

But if your questions have several correct answers, then it is rather good to use GIFT-format. Here you can use a special word-template that is dowloadable from moodle docs.

In reply to Daniela Bertacchi

by Trisha Dickes -
Dear Daniela Bertacchi,
I am just starting out with moodle. I too have a huge database of latex math problem that I need to import into my moodle and I have not idea how. Can I get more instructions from you????

Thanks
Trisha
In reply to Trisha Dickes

by Marc Grober -
If you search the forums on GIFT and asciimath you will fund a URL for EdTech. Alaskapolicy.net that will provide some examples and links for macros. Simply use dbldollars instead of backticks when you go through the resulting file to fix any equations (you say you have latex in ms-word docs, but it is unclear what you mean by that, ie do you really have Tex expressions or ms equation editor objects)

another option is to use openoffice and oo latex and gift macros

I always recommend moving to asciimath as it makes it easy to do math notation without access to Tex installed on server and allows u 2 do figures as well without converting anything to pngs or gifs
In reply to Trisha Dickes

by Marc Grober -
If you search the forums on GIFT and asciimath you will fund a URL for EdTech. Alaskapolicy.net that will provide some examples and links for macros. Simply use dbldollars instead of backticks when you go through the resulting file to fix any equations (you say you have latex in ms-word docs, but it is unclear what you mean by that, ie do you really have Tex expressions or ms equation editor objects)

another option is to use openoffice and oo latex and gift macros

I always recommend moving to asciimath as it makes it easy to do math notation without access to Tex installed on server and allows u 2 do figures as well without converting anything to pngs or gifs
In reply to Maths User

by phtar qing -

Hi Maths,

I don't think the quiz multiple choice question you created from MS word is right. You should enter one anwer per line other than all in one line. And there must be a blank line between questions.

So, if you want to create quiz from MS word, Quiz authoring template for Microsoft Word is recommend, You could download  it from

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=578

After you make the quiz from word, please export to XML format, this XML format could be import to Moodle directly.

wink

In reply to phtar qing

Ynt: Re: MS Word from Quiz Multiple choice???

by MERT DOĞAN -

This version of XML Generator is the best solution but it's not updated still version of 1.6 and the new properties of moodle are not supported with this old Word template.

The images can't be imported, feedbacks can't have images, The Answers tag can't be set (as A. B. C. or 1. 2. 3. or I. II. III. like), new question formats not supported.

I want help from programmers updates this template for community. I tried but i don't know visual basic for application. I will re-code it in Delphi short time later but now it's so imported for everybody i saw.

Thanks lot.

In reply to MERT DOĞAN

Re: Ynt: Re: MS Word from Quiz Multiple choice???

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Just posted a link to the updated version of the Word-Moodle XML v11 template and some additional information in the post here:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=130149