Can i restrict enrolment to courses using role rather than key?

Can i restrict enrolment to courses using role rather than key?

by Clare Denholm -
Number of replies: 2
Not sure if i am posting in the right place as am new to this forum, please let me know if not!

Is there any way of restricting people from enrolling on courses via the role set up instead of using a course key on every site?

The particular example is that we have alumni who need access to the careers pages but we don't want them to enrol themselves on other courses (security matter). However we do not use enrolment keys and that would be awkward to set up for the hundreds of course pages. i was trying to find an option in defining the role that would not allow subscribing to sites (so we could add them manually to the required one) but could not.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Clare
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Clare Denholm

Re: Can i restrict enrolment to courses using role rather than key?

by Eric Constantin -

Yes, this would be very useful to us as well.   We would like to have certain courses that are visible/enrollable to students, and then also have courses that are meant solely for teachers/administrator  (i.e. more information on internal training, etc. )

Thanks,

E

In reply to Clare Denholm

Re: Can i restrict enrolment to courses using role rather than key?

by chris dennison -
Making use of the guest user works quite well.  Guests are excluded from enrolling on a course, but you can set a course open to guests so that they can read pages.  (All the student courses would need to be set as not open to guests.)  Guests can't, however, interact with forums or wikis etc.