Simplifying the Moodle 1.9 gradebook

Simplifying the Moodle 1.9 gradebook

by Helen Foster -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Would you like to make the Moodle 1.9 gradebook simpler for teachers? If so, please see Simplifying the gradebook for a list of suggested ways of doing so by changing gradebook permissions.

Regarding removing the overview report link, this will not be necessary for new installs of Moodle 1.9.5 onwards, as the capability gradereport/overview:view is not set for the default role of teacher (see MDL-18321).

Please feel free to edit the page Simplifying the gradebook if you have any further suggestions, or wish to reword the information to make it clearer.
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: Simplifying the Moodle 1.9 gradebook

by Elena Ivanova -
Is it for 1.9 only? I am just wondering if we should take into consideration MDL-17807 or MDL-18229, etc, since, depending on what LSU patches would be applied in the future, list of the capabilities could be different.
In reply to Elena Ivanova

Re: Simplifying the Moodle 1.9 gradebook by changing permissions

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Elena,

Apologies for not making it clear that the link I provided only lists suggested ways of simplifying the gradebook by changing permissions. I've renamed the page to Simplifying the gradebook by changing permissions. The suggested changes can be applied to any Moodle 1.9 site.

As you point out, there are potentially lots of ways of simplifying the gradebook apart from changing permissions. We hope to be able to simplify the gradebook further as part of our Stage 2 gradebook improvements. Please see Development:Gradebook improvements for more details.