Moodle documentation: Changed Installing Moodle page

Moodle documentation: Changed Installing Moodle page

by Chris Collman -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi,
I changed the very long Installing Moodle page. It is now merely long smile

This page is visited by many people. It now has a template (whose subjects seem obscure to me) and former content has been moved to new pages.

Probably has created some broken links throughout MoodleDocs, although I did not go out of my way to change headings smile

Helen suggest I post notice in the Installation forum and I also gave fair notice in the Moodle Moderators forum. Guess either I am really good or nobody cares because only Frank and Helen commented on the draft. Seriously, this page and subject needs some more editing.

Best to all Chris
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Chris Collman

Re: Installing Moodle documentation changes - request for review

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Chris,

A big THANK YOU for your help in reorganising Installing Moodle. approve It's amazing how much additional information people have contributed in the past three years.

Everyone, please help with reviewing the changes. You can always add a comment to a corresponding talk page, for example Talk:Installing Moodle, if you don't feel like editing the actual text.
In reply to Chris Collman

Re: Moodle documentation: Changed Installing Moodle page

by Gisela Hillenbrand -
Hi Chris,

thank you for restructuring the Installing Moodle page - well-done. I'm working on transfering this to the german MoodleDocs.

I have one comment on your Installation template: the order of the items does not seem logical to me. If you consider the single steps of the installation process, I suggest the following order:
  1. User site capacities (which has to do with requirements and preparation)
  2. PHP settings by Moodle versions (Webserver setup)
  3. Create .htaccess file (Webserver setup)
  4. Create Moodle site database
  5. Creating Moodle site data directory
  6. Moodle site moodle directory
  7. Installer script
  8. Installing Moodle using command line
  9. Installation FAQ
This order is very close to the order of the sections in the restructered article.
What do you think?

Best regards,
Gisela
In reply to Gisela Hillenbrand

Re: Moodle documentation: Changed Installing Moodle page

by Chris Collman -
Gisela,
Thank you for your suggestions. Just what I was looking for. I knew the template needed lots of work, but I was having trouble with thinking about it.

I am going to copy your notes and put them on the talk page of the template and then try to make some adjustments. Maybe reduce the length of the link labels.

Keep up with the translations. My Navajo was never very good, I called my Ibo instructor "my elephant" (not "my friend', joys of a tonal language) and the little Somali I remember should not be repeated in polite company big grin

Best Chris