Moodle 1.9.3 vs 1.9.4

Moodle 1.9.3 vs 1.9.4

by Wen Hao Chuang -
Number of replies: 0
Dear all:

I hope this is the right forum for this discussion. Based on our own campus service level agreement, we will go through a process to determine which moodle version is BEST for our campus, and the weighted decision matrix that we have so far would evaluate these categories:
  • Performance
    • Scalability (the ability to handle the load)
    • Reliability (# of outstanding bugs, etc.)
  • Backup / Restore (whether a candidate version of moodle could reliably restore a course that was backed up in a earlier version of moodle, say 1.5.4+ or 1.8.x)
  • Robustness (capture the issue of how the candidate version of moodle deals with failure and its ability to recover in a timely way without too much loss of work, etc.)
  • Accessibility (based on internal and external criteria and test plan)
  • Features
    • Functionality enhancement
    • Security enhancement
    • Usability enhancement
As you could have imagined, currently our iLearn (moodle) system is supporting 73,373 users, and around 50,000+ courses (including archived courses, among all courss, 20,552 are on live production site which is running 1.9.0). This is an important decision as it would affect a lot of users.

So based on my research on doc.moodle.org and moodle bug tracker, it seems that 1.9.4 is more or less like a "bug-fixing" release of 1.9.3, as it only added about 10-12 minor "new features" (e.g. the AJAX forum rating thing, etc.) and fixed about 200+ bugs. Here are my questions:

1. Could anyone here confirm this (that 1.9.4 is pretty much a bug-fixing release of 1.9.3)? (I'm in the process to go through the bug list that was fixed, but would like to get some community feedback on this).

2. If we have to pick some candidates, would you recommend skipping 1.9.3 as one of the possible candidate? Why or why not?

3. Is anyone here who is running a large moodle installation could comment on this, or share your experience about this (and which version of moodle you are currently running)?

We are currently running a heavily customized 1.9.0 for our live production site (and maintaining two other archive servers which has Moodle 1.8.2 and 1.5.4+ on them). Thanks! smile

Wen
Average of ratings: -