Advanced Uploading of files - files disappeared

Advanced Uploading of files - files disappeared

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 14
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Moodle 1.9.3 and as far as I am aware (externally hosted) no changes on the server or recent upgrades - a teacher has reported that work by one class uploaded  a couple of weeks ago has dissappeared except that it still shows 'view 32 submitted assignments' so it realises they were sent - and the date the students uploaded them is still showing - but not the files. I spotted this below (with no response) and wondered if there is a connection - or else is there anything obvious I haven't spotted? He hadn't marked them yet by the way.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Advanced Uploading of files - files disappeared

by Lesli Smith -
Gosh, Mary. This would qualify as a minor heart attack for me as a teacher, so I hope you find the solution for this teacher soon. I went to one of my old advanced upload assignments to see if I could find a preference that might be the culprit as I seem to remember a reset type option being available to me last year--but that must have been something else and it was last year in 1.8. Anyway, the pics in the forum post you reference seem to be in two different types of grade modes. One is quick grade and one isn't. It shouldn't make a difference--but in a pinch if something seems to be going awry, I'm wondering if they show up if quick grading is turned off--as that seems to be the mode that is working in the pics by the other poster. Again, that shouldn't matter, and you will probably want to keep investigating it as a bug. Still, thought I'd hold out hope that there might be a temporary solution to at least get to the files?
In reply to Lesli Smith

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Lesli -no; on mine quick grading was turned off anyway (so I turned it on but it still didn't make a difference!) I might contact the hosting company and ask if they've done anything without telling us in the last couple of weeks!
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -
Hi Mary,
Have you looked in the classroom's files to see if the uploads are still there?
Files > moddata > Assignment > AssignmentNumber
I haven't figured out how to figure out the Assignment Number, but you can guess by the modified date.
In reply to ben reynolds

by Mary Cooch -
Can't - this particular Moodle is hosted by our broadband suppliers who don't give us ftp access sad Strange one this, unless I've missed something totally basic ...I'm getting in touch with them now.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -
Nothing so complicated. I mean the files directory in the classroom.
In reply to ben reynolds

by Mary Cooch -
sorry -read it too fast - plus whenever I see moddata I think server! Nope - I trawled through there earlier and they are gone from there too ...but there is a date (12 Feb) before which there appears to be nothing even though some of the files were uploaded prior to that. - I wonder if they disappeared during a backup?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Elena Ivanova -
1.8.4 and got the same issue reported today.
Students uploaded the files.
Instructor graded (seems like she was using a combination of regular and quick grading feature, which still does not explain why the files are gone)
Now, once we go in the the dropbox, student files are not there.
So, unless an instructor managed to wipe off moddata folder, I am out ideas for now.
Attachment assignment.png
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Lesli Smith -
Hi. This is triggering all kinds of bells for me as I think I remember something like this happening last year for me in 1.8--and I think it happened, as luck would have it, right in front of my juniors as I was about to tell one of them that I didn't have an essay in yet from him/her. Like Mary's teacher, I hadn't yet graded them, so I remember this incredible dropped-stomach feeling when it happened. However, I can't remember if I was able to figure it out on my own or if I called in the big IT guns.

This is what I think I ended up doing: I noticed, too, that for some reason Moodle (or Firefox--I'm not sure) got cranky with me if I switched between regular and quick grading. So I tried refreshing. Sometimes that would work. I think for this particular instance, I cleared cache and rebooted and everything. I think as long as I stuck with one particular grade format for the time I was viewing, I was okay and the files "appeared" again. For me, I don't think they were ever gone. It was more a matter of them not "appearing" in my browser. Another thing I think worked once was to switch browsers, and then I could see them. But when Mary said she couldn't find them in her moddata folder either, I thought it might be something different.

Also, I hesitated to post as it was over a year ago and I can't be sure if I'm remembering it correctly or if I had to have someone go into our backups to get them, a solution which wouldn't help either of you.

In any case, I totally sympathize and hope you both find a solution soon!
In reply to Lesli Smith

by Elena Ivanova -
Our instructors indeed deleted the moddata folder by accident sad
I guess the same thing probably happened to Mary. Once you delete that folder, it will be actually recreated, but the files will be gone.

by Mary Cooch -
Hi smile No; this isnt' the case with ours as I am the admin and I went through all the logs of the time it happened and no deleting took place. I raised the issue with our hosts but am still waiting to hear from them. ( I know they've been  on our Moodle because I saw them in the logs  yesterday- but they haven't reported back yet)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Elena Ivanova -
Did you go though Administration > Reports or database logs?
Because you will not see that "deletion" as an action recorded, I believe. Try to hack some demo site that way smile

by Mary Cooch -
It turned out they werent' deleted but that the moddata folder had been moved into another folder, thereby breaking the file paths and making it appear as if they had been deleted. And of course when students starting uploading new assignments a new moddata folder appeared, fooling me into thinking it was the original one but with missing files! It's been added to the tracker here http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-18492
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Steven Turner -

We have a similar issue, but the folder is not deleted or moved. If it is a file path break how do you fix that issue?

In reply to Steven Turner

نظر در مورد: Re: Advanced Uploading of files - files disappeared

by n h -
Hello
I have the same problem no one deleted the mod data . but teacher cant see the files in view submitting teachers can see the files in moddata how to apear files in view submited as well as previous?????????????????