Images missing after mod_gzip implimentation

Re: Images missing after mod_gzip implimentation

by Steven O'Donnell -
Number of replies: 0
Ok. I have double checked that ZLIB compression was not turned on.

I have read up on mod_gzip and cannot see what I am doing wrong. I have been doing trial and error tests for the last number of hours. Here are a few things that I have noticed (I do not know what will be relavent):

- I am having problems with images and documents that are stored in the uploaddata folder. Other images, outside of uploaddata, seem to work fine such as the theme images for example.
- when I remove changes made to enable mod_gzip the images and documents reappear on the webpage and everything is fine.
- There is a .htaccess file that is in the uploaddata folder with the following directives:
deny from all
AllowOverride None

- I have tried placing a new .htaccess file with the same information as the .htaccess files in my public_html folder (i.e., the .htaccess file that seems to work). This does not seem to help at all.
- No other folder other than uploaddata seems to have a .htaccess file that reapears which makes me think that this is significant.
- I have tried deleting the .htaccess file in the uploaddata folder but it reappears the next time I open a webpage on the Moodle site. I cannot get rid of it. I have tried modifying it with the contents of the public_html folder .htaccess file to no avail.
- I have tried removing references in my .htaccess file to picture files and any others I do not need compressed:

mod_gzip_item_include file \.(html?|txt|css|js|php|pl|jpg|png|gif)$

changed to

mod_gzip_item_include file \.(html?|txt|css|js|php)$

- I have the same issue in firefox (latest version) and IE 7.
- mod_gzip does work according to http://www.whatsmyip.org/mod_gzip_test/ so something must be going right.

I would love to speed up our site using mod_gzip. If anyone has any suggestions (guesses even) as to why my files from uploaddata may not be working when I try to enable mod_gzip I would love to hear them.

Thanks, Steven O'Donnell.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)