editingteacher role assigned at course category level....

editingteacher role assigned at course category level....

by Neil S -
Number of replies: 0
Using Moodle 1.9.4 build 20090128 on linux..

I'm trying to assign a user to the editinteacher role in the course category 'assign roles' area. With the goal of allowing this user the ability to 'edit' any course within this category.... but NOT give the user admin rights.

The problem I am having is that the role doesn't seem to be propagating down to all of the courses below that category. Oddly, the user gets the editingteacher role in the META courses that are contained in this category - but not the 'normal' courses - which make up the majority...

Our categories are rather 'structured'.... As in...

• Spring 2009 Courses (no courses in here just sub-categories)
    • Comminications (no courses in here just sub-categories)
      • instructor name 1 (some courses in here...)
      • instructor name 2 (some courses in here...)
    • Social Science (no courses in here just sub-categories)
      • instructor name 3 (some courses in here...)
      • instructor name 4 (some courses in here...)

There are about 1600 courses dispersed below the top level category.. all courses are inside the category representing the instructors name... In other wods, there are no courses except in the deepest (third) level...

Interestingly, if I assign the same user to the same role using a different category with a different structure such that the top level cateogry has courses immediately inside it - and even though there are some courses also in sub-cateogries below it... it ALL seems to work perfectly.... The user is indeed instructor in all courses even those in sub-categories...

Could this be a bug in the role assignments at the course category level - where assignments are not made if the courses are 'nested' below categories which contain no courses (except for if that course is a meta course...)

Or... do I just have a fundamental misunderstanding about how this is supposed to work?

Has anybody else bumped up against this and resolved it?

Thanks,
Neil Streeter
eLearning Systems Administrator
Northwestern Michigan College

Average of ratings: -