Navigation 2.0

Re: Navigation 2.0

by Rosario Carcò -
Number of replies: 0

I might be very late too, but I work as System Administrator more than I work as Teacher in Moodle-Courses.

But why the sections/weeks/topics still continue to appear in a long vertical list making it very long to scroll through course pages even in Moodle 2.x?

And the new navigation in Moodle 2.x allows for faster access as it lists all the topics/weeks in a vertical list. But again, this list can grow long, so that you have to scroll down vertically anyway.

Of course the teachers or the students can show/hide one desired topic/week but would it not be better to have ONE HTML-Page per Topic/Week or have a toggle to show the whole list vertically and to have another display mode like the pages of a book? Something like the dockable blocks in Moodle 2.x ?

List-view (as it is actually in Moodle 1.9 and 2.x course pages and in the navigation block of 2.x):

Topic/Week 1
-----------
Topic/Week 2
-----------
etc.

Book/Page view:

T1/W1
T2/W2
T3/W3

etc. all on the left or right edge of the course page. This would allow for a better navigation and shorter course pages. Of course a solution should be found to only show the three or four Topics/Weeks around the Topic/Week the user is looking at, so as not to produce a vertical long long page again. Someting like the Buttons/Links in long lists like <first>, 2, 3, 4,...98, 99, <last> but maybe in a vertical order like this:

<first>
T3/W3
T4/W4
T5/W5
<last>

And if you click on Topic/Week 5 you get a new slider:

<first>
T4/W4
T5/W5
T6/W6
<last>

Rosario