My idea is this:
to add functionality either in the Gradebook or in the Administration block, a link called "Notifications" which could enable a system for notifying various parties:
- students could set up notifications for self,
- teachers could set them up as reminder to contact students, parents, counselors, etc.
- administrators could set them up to notify parents, counselors, advisors, registrar, etc.) about such aspects that can lead to lower retention/persistence, higher attrition rates, such as:
- low grades (below X) - either at the assignment, timing (weekly, daily?) or overall course grade level (choosing to whom to send notification to...)
- assignments/quizzes - send out notification x amount of time prior to due date/time to ...send out notification of low score below X to ...
- notification based on logins/report logs
- if user has not logged in for x many hours/days/weeks send notification to (...)
I think in general the *option* of gradebook notifications would be very beneficial to any learning management system/virtual learning environment (and already exists in at least a couple of them) so that users can choose to use it if they like.
Automated notifications based on certain criteria, along with the ability to set to whom the notifications go, could help a lot with attrition, retention, dropout tracking efforts.
I figured I'd first see if something like this is in the works, and then submit to the tracker to see if there might be some support...