Advice on installing Moodle on Linux

Advice on installing Moodle on Linux

by Brad Wilson -
Number of replies: 9

Hi guys,

After failing miserably to get Moodle working on Windows, I have decided to try it on Linux.

Does anyone have any hints or tips on this before I start?

Specific questions I have are:

1. Should I use Fedora or Ubuntu?

2. Which Moodle package should I download?

3. Do I have to be an Apache/PHP/MySQL guru to get it working?

Any info greatly appeciated.

Regards

Brad

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brad Wilson

Re: Advice on installing Moodle on Linux

by Frank Ralf -
If you want to give Windows another try use http://download.moodle.org/windows/

Quote:
"These packages contain Moodle plus all the other software needed to make it run with Windows: Apache, MySQL and PHP. They are built using XAMPP. It is almost trivial to install with a nice little control application."

In any case I would recommend using XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html). XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use - just download, extract and start. It's available for Linux, Windows, Mac OS, and Solaris.

Detailed instructions for all operating systems you can find here: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Installing_AMP

hth
Frank
In reply to Brad Wilson

by Phill Pover -
Well Brad, kinda surprised you couldn't get moodle working on windows, it's always been a cinch to setup. Linux will be a little trickier, but worth the effort for the speed increase you get with linux, especially if you're running it on the command line. It's scary at first and the learning curve is steep, but here's my advice:

1) Ubuntu is my fave. It's well used and I've not come across many problems yet.
2) Always get the latest version of moodle, you only need the standard version as you don't want XAMPP or anything else with it.
3) You don't need to be a guru, but I would suggest following this guide to set up the server. After that, you should be able to get the rest of what you need from the moodle forums or from google.

BTW, what problems were you getting with setting it up on windows? I've installed moodle several times on windows in XAMPP and setting Apache et al up myself and never had any major issues. I ran the Linux server as a play test at first until I got the hang of it as there are a whole other set of pitfalls to fall into, if you're not comfortable with it, my best advice would be to try and figure out what's wrong with the windows install first.

-Phill
In reply to Phill Pover

by Brad Wilson -

Frank and Phill, thank you for your replies.

Phill, feel free to take a look at my previous thread on my Windows problem, maybe you can shed some new light.  There are other people experiencinmg the same difficulties.

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=115088

Basically, after downloading the Moodle package to a fresh install of Windows (2003 or XP) I was getting syntax errors when starting the xampp services.

Brad

In reply to Brad Wilson

by David Barszczak -
Hi Brad

If this is going to be your development environment or testing environment to get an idea of how Moodle works then I would recommend WAMP. Its a quick install that includes Apache, MySql, PHP. The PHP modules are install by right clicking on a menu in the task bar which is great inexperienced users or beginners.

If this is going to be your production environment then I would definitely use a Linux server of which would be Ubuntu.

It's very quick and the support community is as good as Moodles. If your still unsure i believe the is an automatic installer in the ubuntu repository so you can use the apt-get command to do a full install on your server. Im not sure which version of Moodle is included in this though.

--
David
Integrated IT Systems Ltd
In reply to David Barszczak

by Brad Wilson -

Thanks Frank,

I've tried it on both XP and 2003, so not sure it's a specific problem to XP SP2.

I will try David's suggestion of the WAMP download, and report back early next week.

Brad

In reply to David Barszczak

by anna luque -
I think it should be Lamp (l for linux, a for apache, m for mysql and p for php).
You can find lots of pages whith documentation.
In reply to anna luque

by Chris Walsh -
WAMP is the same as LAMP except Linux is replaced by Windows.

Brad suggests installing WAMP (AMP on Windows) for testing but use Linux (Ubuntu) for production environment.