Grade book calculations - Help Please

Grade book calculations - Help Please

by Karla Bright -
Number of replies: 3

I am having a lot of trouble setting up and understanding the grade book in Moodle. I like everything else about Moodle but this piece has given me a lot of trouble. I've tried all kinds of combinations and nothing comes out right. I have to show our instructors how to use it and since i don't understand what it's doing -- it's impossible!!!!

so here is the instructors scenario =

7 quizzes each 100 pt's - drop the 2 lowest      10% of final grade

5 exams each 100 pt's - drop the lowest           60% or 15% each

2 case studies  each 100 pt's                            10 % or 5% each

article # 1    100 pt's                                          8%                                                     

Article # 2    100 pt's                                          12 %

I have the quizzes and the exams in categories - I choose weighted mean of grades at the course level and at the category level.   The articles and cases are each weighted at the item level.   For some reason the category totals don't appear - only if  I change it to sum of grades.  and the course total is incorrect also.

I have spent many hours trying to figure this out and at this point I've become very frustrated.  Any help to get this to work would be much appreciated.  

If anyone can point me in the direction of some helpful explanations about the grade book  I'd be grateful -I  guess I'm just not following (understanding )the Moodle help files.

Thank you,
Karla

In reply to Karla Bright

Re: Grade book calculations - Help Please

by Suzanne Faber -
Karla,
You will want to have the course set for weighted mean of grades and then the category set as mean of grades. This will fix the issue of you not seeing the category totals.
This version of the gradebook is quite tricky. It has taken me a lot of work to figure it out. I also am the one who has to teach my professors how to use the system. If you have any other questions about it please let me know and I can see what I can do.

Suzanne
In reply to Suzanne Faber

by Karla Bright -

thank you -  Suzanne

I made those changes and at first it was still wrong.  Then I looked at the category totals and the quiz total said 700 and the exam total said 500, well those are correct if it was adding and not dropping anything.   I thought if it was taking the mean of the grade - shouldn't it have calculated that to be 100?  Will I have to manually change that everytime? 

Now it is finally calculating the total correctly - I also discovered that I should not check the "Aggregate including subcategories"  box.   That really screws things up.

Well anyway at this point that one is working.   How do you know what aggregation you should choose at the various levels?  I don't get that.    I'm sure I'll have more questions as we use this more.

Thanks so very much for your help!!!!   

Karla

In reply to Karla Bright

by Suzanne Faber -
I've noticed that if you at any point change that category to sum it keeps the number for the sum rather than taking it back to 100. So that's what happened there. If you set the category up right away to mean of grades you will be ok on that.

I've learned which aggregation to use by trial and error. The system is not intuitive. Glad I could help you out.

Suzanne