How do I see a list of users assigned to certain roles?

How do I see a list of users assigned to certain roles?

by Lisa Magnuson -
Number of replies: 4

I need to see what users on our site are assigned a certain role.  Is there a way to do this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lisa Magnuson

Re: How do I see a list of users assigned to certain roles?

by Paula Clough -

Lisa,

In version 10, you can go to the bulk User Actions and use the advance search options and pick either course roles or site roles to get lists. You can have them shown on a page in the website or download as a file (csv or Excel).  It will only give you their profile information.  Then I would have to separate out teachers  who my be students in a training course... this is easy as students have their school ID number as their login while teachers have part of their name.  You would have to do some creative filtering in the database.

Site wide users can be found in the permissions menu in the site admin block... these are sitewide like Course Creator or Administrator and are in all courses with that designation.  This will be a small group.

Hope that helps.

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Tiffany Morgan -
Hi Lisa and Paula
Question for you about this filter.

I applied an advanced search option and created a filter to find all users who's first name starts with Tiffany (knowing I would get one user found). I selected checkmark next to that filter, but there were no users listed in the selected users list.

I went ahead and selected display from the drop down menu and clicked go. Nothing happens. Am I missing a step?

Thanks!
Tiffany
In reply to Tiffany Morgan

by Paula Clough -

Tiffany,

Sorry, apparently I left out a couple of steps... I should have explained better. Here is the explanation.  I hope it makes better since.  I would give you a picture, but I don't have a website to work off of.

Put the filter on, then click add filter. You can add them one at time or several at a time.  If you don't like the way they work, you click on the box at the side and then click on the button to remove the selected filter or don't worry about the box and click on the remove all filters button.  I would do one at a time myself until you get good at predicting what they will do. If selected Tiffany but then selected student as a course role an you are not a student in a course, it will not come up.

Look down at the User's List box. There will be a all filtered (2/2008) then there will be names listed below.  Either click on the all filtered entry or the names you want and click the add to selection button and they will move over to the other box. Now go to the bottom of the window and go to the dropdown box that says with selected users beside it and chose download and click the go button. Click on the text or excel link on the page that comes up. It will ask if you want to open or save.  I always save if I am going to use it at all.

I hope that helps.

If that doesn't make sense, keep asking.

Paula Clough

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paula Clough

by Tiffany Morgan -
Hi Pat
Not sure what I was doing wrong, but the filter worked perfectly today! tongueout Thanks for the detailed instructions!
Tiff