IIS limitations on the quantity of uploaded files.

IIS limitations on the quantity of uploaded files.

by Anne Nicolson -
Number of replies: 4

Hi when we try and upload files we get an error message that says the file is too large and the device is full. The files are not large - mostly around 200kB. If we delete some files we can upload more - kinda keeps our site fresh - but...

Looking over the shoulder of the technicans I've seen that the moodledata drive has over a gig of space. There was a suggestion that we check the sessions folder but it looks small. The data folder itself has 9MB of stuff in it and won't accept any more.

Is there anything in IIS or elsewhere I should ask to be checked. (My technical support is not terribly interested in exploring possiblities as they think its out of their depth and they are overloaded in the first place) Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Warning: move_uploaded_file(D:RMNetworkServerAppsmoodledata/3//size_test.txt): failed to open stream: No space left on device in D:RMNetworkServerAppsMoodleInstmoodlemodresourcecoursefiles.php on line 132

Warning: move_uploaded_file(): Unable to move 'C:WINNTTEMPphp1B.tmp' to 'D:RMNetworkServerAppsmoodledata/3//size_test.txt' in D:RMNetworkServerAppsMoodleInstmoodlemodresourcecoursefiles.php on line 132

An unknown problem occurred while uploading the file 'size_test.txt' (perhaps it was too large?)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anne Nicolson

Re: IIS limitations on the quantity of uploaded files.

by David Lamotte -
Anne,

If you are able to upload the same files after deleting some files, it would suggest that there is no disk space available.

If the drive does indeed have free space, perhaps there is some disk quota set for the user that your web server is running as.

Disk quotas limit the amount of space that each user may consume.  Much in the same way that while I read in the papers that my bank has lots of money in it, I am only allowed to withdraw up to my quota (ie my account balance).

Something else to look at is the actual file path given in the warning message above - looks a bit strange to me.

Perhaps these are both issues that you should get your technicians to look at.

David
In reply to David Lamotte

by Anne Nicolson -

Thanks for your reply David. Can I just clarify the quota issue. I know about quota's because the staff storage folders have size limits on them. I've been assured that the moodledata folder doesn't have a quota on it - but maybe the webserver is like 'a person' in that it is only allowed to store up to a limit too? So I should ask the technical people to go back and look at the quota management of the IIS server - rather than anything in IIS or the php file?

As to the path looking strange - it may well be - but it seems to work! whats not broken...etc

Many thanks

In reply to Anne Nicolson

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This sounds very odd to me. While it is perfectly possible to set up quotas on a Windows Server this would mean having a quota set for whatever user your Moodle instance is running as - someone would have done that deliberately and so would have known about it. What is the staff quota size? Is it in the same order of magnitude as the 9MB you are stuck at? This is a tiny amount of space.

My gut reaction is that the server really is running out of disk space, or is close to running out of disk space. I am surprised that it is just you having problems!

The path does look strange, but I've seen that before (the double slashes) on IIS Moodle installs and it isn't a problem - I keep meaning to track it down and submit a bug - one day.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Anne Nicolson -

I'm delighted to say the gates open! Our 9MB upload limit is gone! The problem was (probably because quite a few setting got changed) that moodle was using the guest internet account to write to the moodle data folder and it was the guest account that had a quota on it. Many many thanks to all the people who thought out the solution.