Moodle in Malayalam

Moodle in Malayalam

by Manu Unni -
Number of replies: 14
Hi All,

I am not able to see a project for Malayalam in Moodle. It is the land where any new primary education formats are first implemented and tested in India.

Is there any translations going on in Malayalam? If yes may I know who is reviewing and moderating it, so that I can contribute? If not, I want to start the project the earliest.

Linguistically, Malayalam translations present in moodle are having serious errors. It is not public friendly.

To introduce me, I own the OpenOffice.org project in Malayalam.
http://ml.openoffice.org

Regards
Manu.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Manu Unni

Re: Moodle in Malayalam

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Manu!

According to the language download page, the Malayalam lang pack has not been touched since 2006-06-30. So IMHO we can consider it as unmaintained at the moment. Your experiences with OO.org localization would be welcome so you have got my +1 to become a maintainer if you like.
However, this is something Koen has to decide being the translation coordinator.
Please start reading Translation to get know more details about the process, format and tools. Feel free to ask here should you have more questions regarding translation.

Welcome to the Moodle community!
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Manu Unni -
Dear David,

I would like to become the maintainer. The existing translations are full of linguistic errors.
Bringing moodle to Kerala public is important as everything regarding education in India starts in Kerala.

I shall quickly get accustomed with the translations so far as my abilities allow.

Regards
Manu.
In reply to Manu Unni

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Hi Manu,

It would be great if you could help out with the Malayalam language pack. I haven't heard from the original translator anymore since the initial checkin. People move on of course.

As David mentioned, all info should be in the translation documentation. We prefer translators to use the Moodle build-in translation tool as it prevents making some common mistakes.

You can send your work to translation@moodle.org for a technical check and uploading it to the Moodle servers.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate contacting directly at translation@moodle.org.

Welcome to Moodle!
In reply to koen roggemans

by Manu Unni -
Dear Koen,

I am in.

Regards
Manu.
In reply to Manu Unni

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
I'm looking forward to check in your work smile

by Manu Unni -
It takes 6-7 days for the review of the existing strings.

Where can I get a location map of the strings, so that I can understand where exactly will the string appear. Size in Malayalam language is a matter. If the string is supposed to be small, we may have to find a smaller more abstract string.

My work schedule is tight. But I will try and submit 6 files each in the existing strings set everyday.

Regards
Manu
In reply to Manu Unni

by Joe K -

Hi Manu,

Glad to see that you are working on a Malayalam language project. I was pushing moodle for a school project in Kerala and would like to collaborate and assist in any way I can.( just returned from a three weeks vacation in Kerala…)

Joe

In reply to Joe K

by Ravishankar Somasundaram -
Very nice to see that moodle getting primary focus in INDIAN Educational system.

Hats off to all who are contributing towards it.

In reply to Manu Unni

by Manikantan N -

Hi,

What is the current status of Malayalam Language pack development? Is it available for download?

Regards,

Manikantan

In reply to Manikantan N

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Manikantan,

I see from http://download.moodle.org/langpack/2.7/ that the ml language pack is 4% complete. Please see the documentation Help translate Moodle if you'd like to help with the translation.

by George Varghese -
Hi Koen / Manu,

I initiated the Moodle Malayalam language pack with the hope that other Malayalees will join / lead the project. Please go ahead with the corrections /modifications with a view to make the langauge pack more useful.

Let us make more use of tools like this and help sites like this involved in the promotion of the language of "God's Own Country"...

George
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to George Varghese

by Manu Unni -
Good to know George. The mistakes are due to the limitations in Malayalam rendering by the then fonts and typing systems. I too had faced the same when starting with OOo Malayalam.

I find that there were 46 php files in your last update. I shall start by reviewing them and then adding the latest set.

Regards
Manu
Average of ratings: Useful (1)