Manual grading of short answer questions

Manual grading of short answer questions

by Mary Launi -
Number of replies: 5
When manually grading short answer or essay questions, one needs to go through each question and change the points assigned for the answer the student gives as Moodle gives a zero if the response is not word for word the answer of record. Is there an easier way? you have to bring up the popup screen, make the changes, save it and wait for it to make the change. I would rather go through all of the questions at once and then save. It would be faster to give a paper quiz. Any hints on making grading short answer easier?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Launi

Re: Manual grading of short answer questions

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Have you tried going to the Results tab, and then Manual grading? Oh, I see, that does not do shortanswer questions. Well, it is relatively easy to change that, if you are prepared to edit the code.

What you need to do will depend on exactly which version of Moodle you have, because this bit of code has changed a bit recently, but basically, near the start of mod/quiz/report/grading/report.php, there is a bit where it gets a list of questions, and then decides which ones to include in the report by calling $QTYPES[$question->qtype]->is_question_manual_graded(). You could change that by adding OR $question->qtype == 'shortanswer'.

Also, not that in shortanswer questions, you can use * as a wildcard, which gives you some scope for giving marks to slightly incorrect answers.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Mary Launi -
I dont believe I have access to the code, or I have no clue how to access it. My son is a programmer, so he could probably comprehend the reply, but I am but a lowly teacher just using this as a different approach to classroom assessment. Thanks anyway.
In reply to Mary Launi

by Jeff Forssell -
Maybe Tim's good suggestion was all too brief (it even dropped an "e" that makes it a bit weird thoughtful )

Also, note that in shortanswer questions, you can use * as a wildcard, which gives you some scope for giving marks to slightly incorrect answers.

The all too common problem with automatic correction is that our creative students come up with answers we didn't think of when preparing the question. (Sometimes they have a BETTER answer than we we hoping for even or that they had pretty good answers that we would like to give (partial) credit for and definitely more than WRONG.

This is where Moodle excels. You can, after the quiz/exercise is done, scan through the answers submitted and if some you would like to give special message or credit you can easily add more question alternatives and feedback and fitting grading and then let Moodle regrade. Then the student(s) with the new comments/grades will see that when they check their updated results. You at the same time are prepared for others making the same "mistake"/alternative path.

I've prepared a YouTube video about it: (You can make fill the screen with the button to tht right of the speaker symbol)
Check it out and tell me if there is anything unclear in it. What changes/additions could make it worth 5 stars!? wide eyes
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Tim,

1- A better way to answer this request is to add at the top of question/type/shortanswer/questiontype.php

function is_manual_graded() {
 return true;
}

2- If we agree that shortanswer questions often need to be manually graded, why not make this change to moodle core files immediately? The change is minimal and would benefit all teachers who use the shortanswer question with wildcard.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
1. I thought about that, but was not 100% sure that would not cause other side-effects. I am about 99% sure it works, and I agree that if it does, it is a nicer solution.

2. Because not everyone will want it. I would rather add a 'List all questions' toggle button to the report. That is a better interface. However, I don't have time now, so if you want this to happen, you will have to file a tracker issue so it is not forgotten.