CVS Sanity check

CVS Sanity check

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
What's the correct CVS command for commiting a change to the current 1.4 branch. Thought I'd better check before I screwed it up. I'll get good at this CVS stuff eventually big grin
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: CVS Sanity check

by Gustav W Delius -
Hi Howard, there is a good explanation at http://moodle.org/doc/?file=cvs.html. There is no special command for commiting to a particular branch. Rather you switch your copy to that branch and then commit as usual.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Phoe, I understand the document cvs.html very well, I think, but using tortoiseCVS I find the branches very untransparent. I think there's no way  you can see wich branch you're working with and comitting too, unless you delete your checkout and checkout again with the branch you want..
Is this correct or have I missed something here ?
In reply to koen roggemans

by Gustav W Delius -

I don't know what version of window you have, but on mine it is easy to see what branch a file is from. If in your Windows file explorer you use the "Details" view then you will see a few columns like Name, Size, Type, Date Modified, etc. Well, if you right click on the bar that contains all these headings you can choose a few more, among them "CVS Sticky Tag". If that column says MOODLE_14_STABLE then you are on the stable branch. If it says - then you are on HEAD.

To change from one branch to another you use "Update Special" from the CVS submenu on your right-click menu and then choose the branch on the dialog window that comes up.

I hope this helps. I am not very good at explaining things.

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Yes, great! I wasn't aware of the right-click possibility of that bar!
A new world opens!

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
If only I had thought about it for oh, about 2 seconds big grin

Thanks Gustav!
In reply to Howard Miller

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I find the best way to work is to maintain two complete trees/sites checked out.  One for stable, one for the development trunk.