coliur of feedback field in Cloze MCV and MCH

coliur of feedback field in Cloze MCV and MCH

by Stefan Eberhard -
Number of replies: 26
Is there a possibility to remove the feedback fields (or change the colur) in MCV and MCH questions (Cloze-Question-type)?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stefan Eberhard

Re: coliur of feedback field in Cloze MCV and MCH

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Stefan,
What do you mean exactly by "remove the feedback fields" ? As for color change, this can be achieved through a CSS property in your current visual theme. Which theme are you using? Please post a screenshot showing precisely a) what display you are seeing currently and b) what you would like to see instead and I might be able to help.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Stefan Eberhard -
Dear Joseph, Dear Pierre,

I changed the css in the Chameleon-theme, so that the borders of the feedback-fields now have the same colour as the background.

Before, it looked like this:
Feedback

Its no problem with the css.

Stefan

by CDA CDA -
hey which line in the CSS am i looking for?
Thanks!
In reply to CDA CDA

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -

I discovered something by accident. I run Moodle on a Windows server. Instead of downloading Moodle from http://download.moodle.org/ downloaded from http://download.moodle.org/windows/. I did not use the windows installer but these packages contain the Moodle folder so I installed from there.

The problem with the MCH and MCV background went away. I can’t explain what is different but something is. I know it is not a CSS problem because I am using the same theme with the different installation packages. Let me know if this does it.

Tieku

In reply to Tieku Bortei-Doku

by CDA CDA -
i wish i could, but im running on linux sad

by Pierre Pichet -
The display options Of MCV and MCH are the same as standard multichoice although MCH equivalent does not exist in standard multichoice.

Pierre

In reply to Pierre Pichet

by CDA CDA -
can anyone help with this? pierre?
really would like to remove the black boxes.... sad
In reply to CDA CDA

by Jeff Forssell -
It would be good to get a screenshot or a link so we can see what you are seeing.

It is usuallly good to say which version of Moodle you are using. Is it still (like in Aug 2008) 1.9.2?
In reply to Jeff Forssell

by CDA CDA -
I'm using:
Moodle 1.9.4+ (Build: 20090204)

I've attached a screenshot of what I mean... but a similar screenshot has already been shown above in another by post by someone else. But yeh, please check it out.

Thanks!
Attachment feedback_box.jpg
In reply to CDA CDA

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Could you please post here the actual text of your question and answers which leads to this display?
Joseph

by Jeff Forssell -
I've tried to see if I could recreate this. Moodle 1.9.4+ (Build: 20090326) with default theme.
I used the sample from the help file:
{2:MCH:a. Wrong answer#Feedback for this wrong answer~b. Another wrong answer#Feedback for the other wrong answer~=c. Correct answer#Feedback for correct answer~%50%d. Answer that gives half the credit#Feedback for half credit answer}

and got what can be seen in the picture. It seems to me like the table cell borders are visible (and in his case black). I tried to see if I could see what identity the cell had by using Web Developer > Show outline. (I've turned off FireBug and decided to try WD instead) This can also be seen in the picture. But the info was so long that it could not be shown in the window. An if I try to go there with the mouse, the content changes to other elements I pass on the way. Is there any way to copy the information, or make the info multirows?
Attachment UnwantedBoxes.jpg

by Joseph Rézeau -

Jeff > But the info was so long that it could not be shown in the window.

1- The info is long because it includes an error message. My tip: when the info is too long for the window, you can use your tab key to tab, tab, tab until you are in the info window, then copy and paste into a text editor where you can read the whole info.wink

Here is what is displayed when I hover over that answer table (I have highlighted the error message in red):

html > body #question-preview .question course-2 dir-ltr lang-en_utf8 > div #page > div #content > form #responseform > div #q953 .que multianswer clearfix > div .content > div .ablock clearfix > table .answer > tbody > tr .<br /> <b>Notice</b>: Undefined variable: row in <b>C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\moodle19dev\moodle\question\type\multianswer\questiontype.php</b> on line <b>539</b><br /> r1 > td .c0 control

I have entered bug report MDL-18777 for this problem.

2- A simple way to remove the unwanted borders in the feedback cells is to remove the borders in your theme's styles_layout.css (see attached screenshot).

.que .feedback {
/* clear: both;
padding: 0 0 0.3em 0.3em;
margin-bottom: 0.5em;
border: 1px solid;
*/}

Joseph

Attachment image00.jpg

by CDA CDA -
aha well that worked just fine
changed 1px solid to 0px solid
thanks heaps, the world can't run without people like you
In reply to CDA CDA

by Joseph Rézeau -

> the world can't run without people like you...

Yes it can, fortunately. But thanks all the same.

Joseph

In reply to CDA CDA

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -

The MCH question type is the one we use 90% of the time, and that is why I keep coming back to this issue.

Instead of having to edit theme's styles_layout.css (changing 1px solid to 0px solid?), to remove the rectangular separator that is inserted between answer choices in MCH, can the MCH code be changed so that there is a simple vertical line separator between answer choices, or nothing at all?

I am concerned changing the theme in this way might affect the site appearance in other places?

Thanks

Tieku

by Pierre Pichet -
I think that the MCH code should not be modified but that the user should be able to add some HTML <style> element in the question text.
See MDL-18777 more precisely my question to Tim Hunt
"Tim,
is there a way to allow user to put some HTML tags in a question text without safety problems? "

Pierre

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Question text is just like any other HTML input in Moodle, for example adding a web page resource.

You can type some, but not all, HTML. Dangerous stuff, for example JavaScript, is stripped out.

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -

Pierre, Tim,

Unfortunately, editing the question text in my case does not make the rectangular separators go away.

Please import my attached xml file and then preview to see what I mean. What would I edit in the question text in this case? The separators appear after each of my 3 answer choices True, False and Not Sure.

Tieku

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<quiz>
<question type="cloze">
    <name><text>Question1</text>
</name>
    <questiontext>
<text><![CDATA[<p>True or False?</p>
<p>
  <table width="100%" border="1" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1"><tbody>
    <tr>
      <td width="50%" valign="top">Question
      </td>
      <td width="50%" valign="top">{:MCH:%-100%True~=False~Not Sure}
      </td>
    </tr></tbody>
  </table></p>]]></text>
    </questiontext>
    <generalfeedback>
<text></text>
    </generalfeedback>
    <shuffleanswers>0</shuffleanswers>
</question>

</quiz>

by Joseph Rézeau -

In the text of your question, click on the Toggle HTML Source button and type this:

True or false? {:MCH:%-100%True~=False~Not Sure} <style>.que .feedback { clear: both; border: 0px solid; }</style>

Tested in FireFox 3 and MSIE 7.

Joseph

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -

Joseph,

Many thanks. That took the rectangular separators away. smile

Would there be any way to put a simple vertical line between my answer choices in {:MCH:%-100%True~=False~Not Sure} so that they appear to be in separate table cells?

True or False?

Question1 oTrue oFalse oNot Sure
Question2 oTrue oFalse oNot Sure
Question3 oTrue oFalse oNot Sure
Question4 oTrue oFalse oNot Sure
Question5 oTrue oFalse oNot Sure

Tieku

by Jeff Forssell -
In your example you have horizontal lines also, but if you just want vertical ones:

I haven't tried it, but I think one should be able to make just one side of the feedback cell visible with something like

<style>.que .feedback { clear: both; border: 0px solid; border-right: 2px #ff0000}</style>

#ff0000 is the color of the line

by Tieku Bortei-Doku -

Jeff,

The horizontal lines come from the table. I tried your code but it did not work. I want the vertical lines to be placed after each of my answer choices (True, False and Not Sure) within the cell that contains them, something like this:

oTrue | oFalse| oNot Sure|

Thanks.

Tieku

by Pierre Pichet -
Joseph,
Thanks for experimenting and your suggestion is Ok in 1.9 but will not wot work on HEAD.
This is related on how the HTML editor "treats" HTML code other than the ones allowed.
In 1.9, I obtain after Toggling back.
<style>.que .feedback { clear: both; border: 0px solid; }</style>

In HEAD I obtain after Toggling back.
<style><!--
&#010;.que .feedback { clear: both; border: 0px solid; }&#010;
--></style>
So back to workwink

Pierre

P.S. We are on the last days of a teacher strike(http://spuqengreve.wordpress.com/), so less time allowed to Moodle sad

by Joseph Rézeau -
Bonjour Pierre,
What you say of the "treatment" of HTML code in moodle 2.0 is very bad news indeed. It will ruin a lot of my present workarounds I need and use in 1.9.
I hope the moodle core developers will re-consider this paranoid treatment and revert to allowing innocuous HTML code in question texts!angry
Joseph

by Bojidar Milenov -

<style>

.que .feedback { clear: both; border: 0px solid; }

</style>

but paste in plain text not in HTML format

In reply to Bojidar Milenov

by Bojidar Milenov -

paste this in Moodle auto format, sorry smile