Users can see Quizzes in GradeBook that are not assigned to their Group

Users can see Quizzes in GradeBook that are not assigned to their Group

by David Nash -
Number of replies: 11
I have two sets of groupings, Grouping A and Grouping B

There are 10 quizzes in a Course.

5 Quizzes are set to Grouping A

5 Quizzes are set to Grouping B

At the Course Level it is set to Separate Groups, no force and no Default Grouping

When the user logs into the course they actually only see the Quizzes for their Grouping...great!

But, when they click on the Grade link, they see the table containing all 10 quizzes, not just their own...

Can this be fixed?

cheers
In reply to David Nash

Re: Users can see Quizzes in GradeBook that are not assigned to their Group

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Darren,

As you've found, if a graded activity is assigned to a particular grouping only, it will still appear in the gradebook for all users. Unfortunately it seems this is rather a complicated issue with no obvious solution - see MDL-13868.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Bummer! Is there a way to use the Sum of Grades and Grade Exclusion (which I guess only works on Sum of grades?) But I would imagine the students will still see all the non-group grade items.

Urgeeeeeeee. Was soooooooooo excited to use groupings and spent so much time setting this up. Bummer. This info should be posted front and center on Moodle Docs so folks know the gradebook issue. I will have to live with my mess of a gradebook for now as I have no choice. Urge.

Thanks for posting!
In reply to Helen Foster

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Hello Helen-
After wrestling with the whole Groups/Grouping/Gradebook dilemma more this weekend I am surprised there is not a way to solve this. Of course, I have no clue how to write code but I would think there would be a way for the gradebook to recognize assignments made to certain groupings and just automatically mark those assignments as "Excluded/Hidden" for students not in a particular grouping. Any code monkeys out there able to help. Manually doing this for every students and every assignment is out of the question. I think it will really limit folks from using Groupings which is something a lot of my faculty got really excited about but I now hesitate to even show them this because of a what a mess it makes of the gradebook.

Here is an example of what I and it seems most folks would like to see:
Graded assignments, assigned to a certain grouping are currently hidden on the course home page but show up in the gradebook. Therefore it is impossible to use Sum of Grades or any other grade averaging that treats blank grades "---" like zeros and it also makes the gradebook a huge mess for students and instructors. I current have 5 groups and 25 students and would like to do a group activity every week for nominal points but this is just way too much work.

Thanks for any feedback or ideas you have. I wonder if maybe this could be integrated into the Lsu Simple grader?
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

by Robert Russo -
We'll look into this within the next few weeks and get back to you with either a timeframe for completion or a bunch of pulled out hair.
In reply to Robert Russo

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Right on. Thanks. I do not have any hair left to pull out, glad you have some reserves smile
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Any idea if this has been fixed or if there is a plan to fix this is v1.9.5 gradebook?
In reply to David Nash

by Itamar Tzadok -
In the meantime you may be able to workaround that if you hide all these quizzes in the gradebook and then create 5 gradebook items, one for each pair of quizzes, and set the item's grade to be the sum of the respective quizzes. smile
In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Elena Ivanova -
But those grade items still will be visible to students from all groups, aren't they? mixed
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Itamar Tzadok -

The gradebook items, yes, but not the grouping activities, which is, I think, the desired effect. So suppose you have 2 quiz assignments A and B and two groups 1 and 2. If you want each group to have different instances of these quizzes you will have {A1,B1} for group 1 and {A2,B2} for group 2, set with the grouping so that each group sees only its quizzes. So in effect you have 4 quizzes all appear in the gradebook and hence in the student's grades report. Now, what I'm suggesting is that if you hide these quiz items in the gradebook they will not appear in the student's grades report. In their stead you create two gradebook items, A and B, which will appear in the student's grades report, as it should be because every student is assigned two quizzes. Now, you set item A's grade to be A1+A2; and item B's grade B1+B2. But since the students take only one quiz in each pair, in principle (because I haven't tried it yet wide eyes) they should see in their grades report exactly the score of the quizzes they took.

Of course, if this works at all (and I will have to try it soon) it will work in cases where there is a uniform set of activities for all groups but different instances.

smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Elena Ivanova -
Gotcha - calculations will be correct, but students still will see both A and B in the user report.
I think that the desired effect was actually hiding the gradebook items based on group enrollment, in this particular situation.

And. 1.9. gradebook doesn't offer bulk grade exceptions interface anymore, which is a nightmare for me personally. dead
Anyone who reads this thread, please take one second to vote - MDL-13889 ! smile)
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Robert Russo -
Our grade quick edit screen does offer bulk exclusion based on group selection. You could always use that. Click the little qe button next to the grade item name on the
simple grader report and select the group you wish to exclude and go for it. The problem is we removed calculations from our system because .1% of our faculty actually used it correctly ... to simulate a weighted mean. We are planning on adding the feature back, but control its visibility administratively.