Questions repeating in Millionnaire

Questions repeating in Millionnaire

by Jack Eapen -
Number of replies: 25
I think game module is one of the most useful modules. one problem i found is that, in millionnaire game, questions are repeating. i'm selecting questions from an exam with 25 questions. within the same game, questions should not repeat. what to do?
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jack Eapen

Re: Questions repeating in Millionnaire

by John Andrewartha -
In your question section for that game turn off shuffle.

John
In reply to John Andrewartha

by Charles Thorne -
I have had the same problem and I have shuffle turned off in my Quiz.
In reply to Charles Thorne

Re: Re: Questions repeating in Millionnaire

by Vasilis Daloukas -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I fixed the problem. Now games try use the question or words that used fewer times.
In reply to Vasilis Daloukas

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
So should we download a new version to get this fix?
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

by John Andrewartha -
Good question,
I have the same problem I suspect it is the algorithm that shuffles the questions.
There may be a weighting system in the question dialog, I haven't looked.
The quick fix is more questions.

At the level I use the games, repeats are acceptable. It would be interesting to know what you are using Millionaire as a quiz for!

John

Re: Re: Re: Questions repeating in Millionnaire

by Vasilis Daloukas -
Yes, upgrade to new version and If the problem persists please tell me.
The algorithm that select a question is very simple. Selects random three questions and selects the one that is used fewer times for this game and for this student.
The same algorithm is used at the most games e.g. hangman.

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Thanks I went to the download link to the game module - it just did not look like it had been upgraded. We originally downloaded in Nov 08. Thanks we will do this.

by Trish Hart -

Hi Vasilis, I work with Deb (the above messages)  Thanks so much for your work on the game module.  Its awesome and I use games as much as I can in post secondary ed also. 

We did get the module updated but we are still having problems repeating questions.  I made sure shuffle was off and in the edit for the game, there is no option to turn off any shuffling. 

Also, when you try to choose an answer, I get black highlights on the answers and unless you hover over the letters and get an orange highlight, all you see is black and you can not read the answer choices. 

Thanks for any help! 
In reply to Trish Hart

Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions repeating in Millionnaire

by Vasilis Daloukas -
Can I saw your course online to understand the problem?
You can send me your site by a private message or by email.
In reply to Trish Hart

by Vasilis Daloukas -
For the second problem try to replace the file mod/game/millionaire/play.php with the above file.
The only change is in line 583 where I set the background colour to White.
In a next version will be the ability to set the background and foreground colour.

by Trish Hart -
Thanks so much for looking into this and including the highlighted color fix! We really appreciate your work on this!

I'm not sure if I understand the repeated question issue though.

Again thanks for what you do!!

In reply to Trish Hart

Odp: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions repeating in Millionnaire

by Mariusz Nowak -
Hi,
the game module is very cool, but I still cannot solve the problem with repeating questions sad In quiz there are 15 questions and in every attempt of the game they are repeated. I have unchecked shuffle of questions in whole quiz and shuffle of answers in each question. Is there any possibility to disable random questions? If so, I could write questions in a way that every next question is more difficult, and the last one is the most difficult.
In reply to Mariusz Nowak

Re: Odp: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions repeating in Millionnaire

by John Andrewartha -
Hello,
What you want is a serialized question bank with incremental difficulty. Start at the top and each question becomes more difficult.

For this you need editing rights. Go to the quiz question bank that you want to order.
Do a normal open, just click it. There are tabs at the top. Click edit.
You now have the ability to order the questions.
Save and close when complete.

You may also care to have a look at this link it gives an explanation to the issue of randomization.
http://docs.moodle.org/en/Effective_quiz_practices

John
In reply to John Andrewartha

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions repeating in Millionnaire

by Mariusz Nowak -
Thank you for your response smile
In fact I have my questions ordered and if I launch quiz everything is just like I want to be. The problem begins when I want to use my quiz in the Millionaire game. It seems that game ignores order of questions and order of answers in each question. In addition in every attempt of the game several questions are repeated and this affects the sense of this game sad So my issue concerns only the game module, because normal Moodle quiz is working OK.

Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions repeating in Millionnaire

by Vasilis Daloukas -
Have a look at this idea. Suppose we have 30 questions.
The first time asks the first or second question
The second time asks the third or fourth question
What you think about this scenario? If you agree I will change the millionaire to work in this way.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions repeating in Millionnaire

by Mariusz Nowak -
The third time asks the 5th or 6th question etc?
It sounds very interesting smile I suppose that then will be none repetitions at one attempt. I would be thankfull smile

Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions repeating in Millionnaire

by Clifton Beasley -
What do you think of giving the teacher two choices: 1) random selection of questions (as it currently works) 2) sequential selection of questions.
In reply to Clifton Beasley

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions repeating in Millionnaire

by Mariusz Nowak -
If we have a large question bank then, I think, random questions may be good possibility. But I still claim that in one attempt of game each question should appear only once. At the time being, random questions are taken from random sampling with return and I think that should be random sampling without return. So maybe it could be like this: quetions which appeared once in the attempt of game should be stored somewhere (maybe cookie or database) and next questions should be always different than those which user had during the attempt.
Nevertheless, the solution from Vasilis Daloukas with 30 questions in my mind is very good smile

Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions repeating in Millionnaire

by Vasilis Daloukas -
The algorithm that is used now is very simple "Selects random three questions and selects the one that is used fewer times for this game and for this student." This is close to that you suggest.
If one has few questions or want easy questions in the begining and difficult later I suggest the solutions with 30 questions.
Of course if there are 45 questions the game will select one of three questions for each stage.
Will be a parameter to select the one or the other algorithm.

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions repeating in Millionnaire

by Mariusz Nowak -
In my particular course I would apreciate the solution with 30 questions and then - we are starting with very simple questions and the further we go the more difficult questions we have. So the student who reaches, for example, the 13th question is generally better than the one who ends on the 10th question - just like it is on TV smile So I will be waiting for this possibility to introduce in my course smile Thanks a lot!

Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions repeating in Millionnaire

by Vasilis Daloukas -
I made the change. Wait one day and download the next version.
There is a parameter named "Randomize questions:" in millionaire Game when the input source is quiz
When the parameter is true works with the standard way.
When the parameter is false works with the above method of 30 questions.

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions repeating in Millionnaire

by Mariusz Nowak -
OK, great smile I will be testing new version and I will give you my remaks soon. Once more thanks a lot smile

Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Odp: Re: Re: Re: Re: Questions repeating in Millionnaire

by Mariusz Nowak -
Recently I had some time to test Millionaire after Your changes. Now it is just I wanted it to be smile Thanks! Nevertheless I still have some problems. One is that it seems to me, that number of actual question in the right pane is not the same as the real number, for example: when the first question is displayed, then there is no orange highlight in the pane; when the second question is displayed the orange filed shows number 1 and so on. So the 15th question in the right pane is never highlighted.

The second problem is that sometimes one or two questions in the quiz are repeated one by one, for example: the 4th question is the same as the 5th. In the question bank there are no identical questions of course smile

Are there any solutions for these issues?

by Vasilis Daloukas -
Thank you. I fixed the above problems. Wait one day and download again the module Game.

Odp: Re: Questions repeating in Millionnaire

by Mariusz Nowak -
And now it's working great smile THANKS smile Great job!