Insert picture icon doesn't allow students to Browse for a picture

Insert picture icon doesn't allow students to Browse for a picture

by Diane Hawkins -
Number of replies: 7
Today I created 3 new glossaries with the intention of using them as Showcases / ePortfolios for the children. Great idea I thought - BUT mega headache! The structure is great, but what I wanted was for the children to be able to upload picture files from the hard drive as they can anywhere else in Moodle, and then add supporting text. Unfortunately, when the children click on the insert picture icon in the editor, they DON'T get a Browse button (how crazy is that?!!!) but instead they are asked to provide the directory path to the file! The only option the children have is to upload attachments. Copy and paste works with pictures from websites, but not from documents, so that option won't work either. PLEASE can you offer advice on this one? I am using Moodle version 1.9.2 with Key Stage 2 children (mainly 10-11 year olds)
Many thanks,
Diane
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Diane Hawkins

Re: Insert picture icon doesn't allow students to Browse for a picture

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes - sadly as far as I am aware they cannot easily upload picture files in the way that we can and they have to upload as attachments. But. that works ok. I'm interested in the fact that you're a teacher with KS2 children as I have a Moodle handbook coming out in a couple of months specifically for teachers of pupils aged 7-14. It does cover issues like this and other ways to get them involved. You dould also try the database
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
This is one of the things that the file/repository API in Moodle 2.0 is designed to fix. Everyone will be able to upload things wherever it makes sense, subject to security considerations.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Diane Hawkins -
Thanks Tim. So an upgrade from 1.9.2 to 2.0 will sort this out for me?
In reply to Diane Hawkins

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Diane,
Please note that Moodle 2.0 will not be released for quite some time, maybe not before the end of this year...
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Diane Hawkins -
Thanks Joseph. Will look forward to it. smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Diane Hawkins -
Thanks Mary. The problem is the same in the database though.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Diane Hawkins -
Okay. problem solved - I think. I'll copy the teacher role, then prohibit virtually everything they could potentially mess up, and give the children amended Teacher roles just for this course and see what happens! I may well live to regret this! LOL!