Problems with quizport

Problems with quizport

by robert maran -
Number of replies: 13
Hi Gordon
Our IT boys have downloaded quizport- the latest one, I think- and I have been trying to get it to work. I strung together several quizzes that were made using Michael Rottmeier's add-ons- specifically "dropdown" and "find it". However, the following occurs:
1. can only display with html tag file ( with a .jcl file, it displays but not with the characteristics of "dropdown" or "find it"- just word lists and blank spaces as a normal jcl quiz)
2. Click on check button and nothing happens ( in the case of "dropdown") and after completing a "find it" exercise, nothing happens- page error message.
So in both cases, can't continue to next exercise.

Is this because quizport is not yet compatiable with these add-ons?

I have uploaded to your server so you can check it out. It is under the name "connect".

Hope you can work it out!

Cheers
Robert
Average of ratings: -
In reply to robert maran

Re: Problems with quizport

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Robert,
thanks for downloading QuizPort and sending in feedback !

I don't think those HTML files will record results yet. They should display OK, but QuizPort will treat them as ordinary html files.

For JCloze ".jcl" files, you can select the following output formats on the "Updating: Quiz" page
  • ANCT Scan from HP6 JCloze xml
  • DropDown from HP6 JCloze xml
  • FindIt (a) from HP6 JCloze xml
  • FindIt (b) from HP6 JCloze xml
  • JCloze (v6) from HP6 JCloze xml
  • JGloss from HP6 JCloze xml
These output formats should work if each question in the JCloze file has the alternatives and clues expected for that output format.

Thanks for uploading the files to my server. If there is a JCL file there, I will experiment with that and report back

cheers
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Robert,
I have added the JCL files as Drop Down and Findit (a). Each of the quizzes seems to have some unexpected behavior, so please leave that with me for a few days while I sort it out.

thanks
Gordon

by robert maran -
Hi Gordon
Thanks for the prompt reply. Unfortunately I can not see
the following output formats on the "Updating: Quiz" page
ANCT Scan from HP6 JCloze xml
DropDown from HP6 JCloze xml
FindIt (a) from HP6 JCloze xml
FindIt (b) from HP6 JCloze xml
JCloze (v6) from HP6 JCloze xml
JGloss from HP6 JCloze xml

All I can choose is "best". I probably am doing something wrong, or looking in the wrong place? No? Are you talking about the same page as "adding a new Quizport"? If you are, then when i go to make a new quizport there are no output format options.

Robert
In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -
I am talking about the "Updating: Quiz" page.

When viewing a quiz as a teacher, click on the edit icon to the right of the quiz title.

OR

on the "Edit quizzes" page, click on the edit icon in the "Edit" column.

Either route should take you to a page like this

must dash
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Robert,
the DropDowns and FindIts are working much better now.
I still need to fix a couple more things but at least the quizzes display OK and the results are returned to Moodle.

Inserting a mediaplayer seems to break things, and the images in the feedback don&t display. I will look at those tomorrow.

thanks for making your quizzes available for me to test on approve
Gordon

by robert maran -
Hi Gordon,
Thanks for looking into the problem. I personally still don't seem be able to make quizport work. Let me talk you through what I see and do as an example:
1. On course page choose quizport from the activity list.
2. On adding a "new quizport" page I select "Add to quiz chain" to "yes".
3. I choose upload a file, and I select in this case 3 files I want added to my quiz. (all 3 files are in the same folder).
4. I choose the file i want to appear first in my list of quizzes
5. I then click on "save and display"
6. I then choose "edit quiz" to check- but only 2 of the files have appeared in the chain. ( is this normal? I originally checked 3 files I wanted in the chain- but only 2 appear in the edit page )
7. Ok so then I check "add more quizzes" and set the options like "after" xxx quiz. Then save changes.
8. This takes me to "add a new quiz", but in the source file window there is a file name that I had used in a previous attempt to set up a quizport sequence.
9. I change to add quiz chain to "yes"
10. Choose upload a file and I click on the 3rd file which I tried to include originally above.
11. Save and then the edit quizzes page appears with 2 extra files now added to the chain- I only wanted one.
12. i then check each of the files in my sequence to see if they work or not.
13. The first file appears normal ( the first file is made with jcloze using dropdown (not addon), third is made with the add -on drop down and the second file is made with jmix- saved as a drag and drop exercise- I added extra lines to accommodate the number of sentences); the second file doesn't work and gives the following message: " Invalid ID for database table: quizport quizzes (1)": the third file appears normal; the 4th file gives the same error message as above.
14. I delete this 4th quiz file. I am prompted to whether I want to delete or not. I click "yes" and a message "Deleted quiz " appears- but from there it does not revert back to the quizport edit page. (Is this normal?) Any way I can find my way back there by clicking "update this quiz" and then "save and display".
15. I then click on the edit button of the first quiz to see if I can change the output settings. On output format for my first quiz only the option "best" appears. For the second quiz under output format i can choose from " best" or "webpage(html)"; for my third quiz- only "best" is available.

16. I click on the second quiz in the chain and I get "continue" message- invalid ID....
17. I then decide to delete the whole quizport and I get the prompt asking me whether i want to delete or not. I click "yes" and I end up with a blank page "http 500 internal server error". Return and try again- bingo! deleted and back to course page!

18. I try and set up a new quizport. Do the same procedure as above, but this time I click on 7 quizzes I want to add to the chain. However only 2 appear in the edit page. I add again, clicking on the remaining 5, again only 2 more appear ( now total 4)
19. I go back to the edit page and lo and behold I find there are now 46 exercises !
20. Try again- newquizport- choose 6 quizzes and again only 2 appear.....

Hope you can fathom this out!

Robert
In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Robert,
first off, I have improved the FindIt and DropDown output formats so they work with the "ConnectLesson1" jcl files that you uploaded to my server. Please download the most recent version of QuizPort to get these fixes.

Regarding your detailed explanation of the steps you took when trying to add several quizzes at once to a QuizPort, the important point was number 4.

> 4. I choose the file i want to appear first in my list of quizzes

Now imagine you were QuizPort. You would open this file, check it is a type of quiz file that you know about, and then see if you know how to get the next quiz by looking at the contents of this quiz.

Let's say the file is a JCloze html file that has Hot Potatoes navigation buttons "<=" and "=>". If QuizPort can find a "Next" button, i.e. a "=>" button, it will try and extract the name of the next quiz file from that. If it finds such a file name, it will try and open it and repeat the process of adding a quiz and finding the next quiz.

In your case, QuizPort was only able to follow the chain as far as the second quiz file. To find out why it stopped there you need to open that file and check that there is a next button and that it points to a file that exists.

However, there is another way to add these three quizzes and that is to insert the folder name instead of a file name in the "Source file" text box when you add a new QuizPort or add more quizzes to an existing QuizPort.

> 13. ... second file is made with jmix- saved as a drag and drop exercise-
> I added extra lines to accommodate the number of sentences;
> the second file doesn't work and gives the following message:
> " Invalid ID for database table: quizport quizzes (1)":
> ... the 4th file gives the same error message as above.

Please could you upload the 2nd and 4th files to my server so I can check the behavior

many thanks
Gordon

by robert maran -
Hi Gordon
i have uploaded the folder "connect4" to your server. I have made a connect4 quizport. The second quiz now appears OK and works normally. The last in the series "quizport6" which is a "find it" type appeared initally but it showed as a normal cloze - it seems to have lost the add-on function. I then tried to edit it and chose "find it A" from the output format options. When I tried to open this quiz- IE crashed ( repeatedly). Setting it back to "best" showed the quiz, but without the add-on- just a straight cloze.
Something amiss still...

I was successful in getting a chain of quizzes by just inserting the folder name- this seemed to work fine. Thanks for that important time saving tip!

I tried the previous quizport (connect1)- but when i click on the second quiz in the series IE crashes. Also when I attempt to enter connect1, "sorry you have no more attempts at this quiz left" inspite of the fact that attempts allowed has been set to "unlimited attempts".

Waiting for your expertise on this...

Cheers
Robert

In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Robert,

> The last in the series "quizport6" which is a "find it" type appeared initally
> but it showed as a normal cloze - it seems to have lost the add-on function.

From what you say, I understand that it was dispaying as a FindIt(a), but switched back to normal JCloze without any intervention from you? It is certainly not supposed to work like that ! Perhaps it gets reset if you visit the "Updating: Quiz" page. I will have a look.

> When I tried to open this quiz- IE crashed ( repeatedly)

Thanks for this information, I will check try it out with IE. Could you tell me which version you were using (IE6, IE7, IE8) and if possible the Windows version too.

> Also when I attempt to enter connect1,
> "sorry you have no more attempts at this quiz left"
> inspite of the fact that attempts allowed has been
> set to "unlimited attempts".

Thanks for pointing this out. I get the same error when I log in as guestteacher. I will check it out.

cheers
Gordon

by robert maran -

Hi Gordon

IE is v7.05. I am using windows XP professional.

Cheers

Robert

In reply to robert maran

by Gordon Bateson -
OK, thanks.

The IE crashing was caused by the extra headers specified in "1-2.jcl" file (JCloze: Options -> Configure Output -> Custom -> Code for insertion into the <HEAD> tag). When I removed those, the quiz displayed ok in the FindIt(a) format.

I also fixed the no more attempts. Actually, one of the quizzes did have an attempt limit of 3, but even so its "Allow resume" setting was "Yes" so QuizPort should have let you resume the most recent attempt. I fixed QuizPort's handling of this situation to let you redo the quiz if "Allow resume" is "Yes" or if "allow resume" is "no" at least t he message will tell you which quiz you are not allowde to reattempt.

Along the way I got that "invalid ID for database table" so I will look into that later on.

thanks for all the feedback!
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
sorry, I take back what I said about IE crashing. I don't think it was the extra headers. It started happening again, and I traced it to a function within the FindIt output format that causes IE to crash when it comes across a PARAM tag.

I changed the code to ignore PARAM tags and now IE doesn't crash on PARAM tags.

I also found that the "Invalid id" error occurs when QuizPort is dealing with HTML files. I am still working towards a fix.

Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
I think I found the cause of the "Invalid quiz id" error message. It was a symptom of HTML files. It appeared just after a quiz had been deleted. I have implmented a fix for it and incorporated the modified scripts into latest download for QuizPort.
Gordon