Parent role cannot view discussions and blog

Parent role cannot view discussions and blog

by Pat Sterle -
Number of replies: 7
I have set up a test parent role and user on our v1.9.4 site using the Moodle Docs directions and it works as expected, except the parent cannot view either the student's discussion forum postings or the blog.

After clicking on a course within the student profile, and then on the 'Forum Posts' tab, the screen says either 'No Posts' or 'No discussions started by this user' even though there are discussion posts for the student user.

When clicking on the 'Blog' tab the screen says 'You can not view blog of this user, sorry.'

Are there some forum or blog settings that I'm missing? We do have the entire site set to the course level for blogs and need to keep that setting for security because we are a secondary school site.

The Activity Reports tab and the Grades link on that tab seem to work fine.

Thanks for any suggestions!

In reply to Pat Sterle

Re: Parent role cannot view discussions and blog

by Anthony Borrow -
Core developers की तस्वीर Plugin developers की तस्वीर Testers की तस्वीर
Pat - I believe that for a parent to see the forum posts, they should not go into the course and look but instead go to the user profile of their child. On the user profile there should be tabs for forums posts and blog that indicate the posts and blogs of their child. Let me know if that helps. Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Pat Sterle -
Thanks, Anthony. It is in the profile tabs that we are having the problem. The blog tab is blocked completely and the forum tab shows no posts or discussions, even though there are posts from our test student.

For now we've decided to limit parent access to the activity reports tab and grade links in the profile (which work perfectly), but I would like to get forums and blogs to work for the future.
In reply to Pat Sterle

by Anthony Borrow -
Core developers की तस्वीर Plugin developers की तस्वीर Testers की तस्वीर
Pat - I would like to see what is happening to determine why it is not working. Could you let me know what capabilities the parent role has so that I can recreate it on my system and try to replicate the behavior? Peace - Anthony
In reply to Anthony Borrow

by Chad Outten -
Testers की तस्वीर
@Pat: i agree with Anthony, we need to know what capabilities & permissions you've set for the new parent role. the two in question appear to be...

moodle/user:readuserblogs
moodle/user:readuserposts

i tried to replicate your issue in my local test environment using moodle 1.9.4 (20090207) & can confirm parent can view student blogs ok - just be certain publish option is set to 'anyone on site' for student blog.

i was able to replicate your forum issue & can confirm parent canNOT view student forums posts with moodle/user:readuserposts set to allow.

perhaps anthony or somebody else can try replicate what appears to be a bug before we log in tracker. all other capabilities seem to work as desired for parent role.

fyi - i've had parent role, mentee block working flawlessly in earlier versions of 1.9.x

Cheers, Chad

In reply to Chad Outten

by Pat Sterle -
Anthony and Chad,

I set up the new Parent role according to the Moodle Docs recommendations, so initially these were the permissions set to ALLOW and I didn't use any legacy role to set up the new role:

moodle/user:viewdetails
moodle/user:readuserblogs
moodle/user:readuserposts
moodle/user:viewuseractivitiesreport
moodle/user:editprofile

Once I tested this out, I suspected that our global blog setting (which is set to the course level) was the reason that the parent role could not see the student blogs - however we need to keep the blog setting at 'course' for security reasons in a secondary school setting.

Thanks, Chad, for checking this out and trying to replicate the issue - it sounds like there still may be an issue with the 'Read User Posts' permission.

For now our team has decided - mostly for policy, not technology, reasons - to limit parent access to activity reports and grades.

Thanks again for your help with this.
In reply to Pat Sterle

by Chad Outten -
Testers की तस्वीर