Text editors

Picture of Chris Delaney
Problems with anchors

Hi there, apologies - I'm pretty new to Moodle. I'm having trouble with something that I thought would be easy, Anchors.

In my topic outline at the top of my course I have some text and I would like students to be able to click on words/text and jump down to the appropriate topic (rather than scroll down).

Using the anchor logo/button I set the anchor in my topics, then when I return to my topic outline at the top of the page I highlight the text and click insert web link - and none of my anchors are visible in the drop down menu....

Any ideas. I've tried in Firefox and IE.

Cheers

Chris

Average of ratings: -
Michele
Re: Problems with anchors

I had a similar problem and couldn't get anchors to work so this is what I did.
I used Topics and put each Module into a Topic Block. I had icons in the main introduction Block and linked them to each Module by minimising the blocks by clicking the 'Show only Topic 1' or 2 or 3 etc. on the right-hand site of the block. Then I copied the URL and pasted that in the 'Insert Link' URL area after selecting to link the image. Then went through and did them all this way.
It works perfectly for me and the students are happy with it and that is the main thing.
I hope this is what you are after.
Kia ora
Michele

Picture of Chris Delaney

Yeah, good idea.... thanks Michele

Picture of Angela Kristin

Thanx !!!
It helped me..
Thanx a lot...

Picture of Cathe Ostrowski

Michele - you are a lifesaver!!! Anchors wouls not show up in the pull down/pop-up window. I was at wit's end.

I tried your idea and it WORKED!!!

Thank you so much!!

Cathe

Picture of Leonie Millar

Thanks Michele you are a genius - this idea works better for what I wanted anyway

Lee

Picture of Richard Mattock

Hi,

If you do not want to minimise the other sections but want to move to a Topic with all the others still showing then each Topic already has an anchor attached.
The URL is the full page URL with #section-1 on the end. The number is simply the number of the section you want to go to.

Hope this also may help.

Regards

Rich

Picture of Clare Wallace
Group Moodle Course Creator Certificate holders
Rich! It works like a dream. I need to seriously consider using Mary Cooch's tutorials on Youtube about how to avoid the Moodle scroll of death! But for now with courses which are about to be replaced with new specs this is fab!!! Thank you......a few hours ahead adding some links is much better than radical redesign!!

Thanks again and to all who contributed to this section!
Clare

Picture of rich holman

For the record

In my case it was htmlpurifier deleting the anchors

I managed to fix the no anchors problem two different ways.

1). Switch off html purifier in "experimental" at the bottom of admin settings

The trouble with option 1 was that it made my wiki pages look awful (it deleted a lot of the formating tags) So I had to find a proper fix which was option 2:

2). Replace htmlpurifier with an upto date version see my post here:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=94174&parent=630117

R.

Picture of Vanitha K.P

Hi,

This's the solution for inserting an anchor. Before u click the insert web link icon follow these steps

for example if you have to link 1. Introduction as anchor.

1)  just select the main text 1.Introduction where the link have to go and click the icon create anchor. you will see the window asking the name of the anchor. enter the name as you wish ex:1-intro.

2) for giving the link (ie clicking the text 1.Introduction) select 1.Introduction text and click the icon insert web link. you will see the anchor in the window in list box. The name of the anchor you created will be displayed in the list. Select the anchor for ex:1-Intro, then in the URL you will see as #1-Intro. then select ok button.

That's all you have to do. Try it this simple thing.

By

K.P.Vanitha

Picture of Caroline Breslin

The problem is that anchors created within a particular topic only display as possible anchor links in the drop down menu when adding a link from within the same topic.  

I could not create a link to an anchor from a different topic using the drop down list.  The anchors for the other topics did not appear. 

I wanted a 'Contents List' for class topics, i.e. have links to each class topic all within topic zero.  Using the page reference followed by #section-1 as per advice above did work though.

Thanks

cb